Lake Erie Walleye

Fjaq

Finally took the plunge and spent 2 days fishing walleye on Lake Erie, Irving NY area.  First time for us.  The walleye were there and fairly easy to catch. At 6:45am I counted 37 boats within my view in the 60-70 fow area, and this was on a Wednesday!

crawler harnesses and purple spoons worked for us.  Never had a hit on any of my sticks.

Lake Erie gets rough QUICKLY.  Very nasty west wind.

We jig for walleye on the Susquehanna.  I think I prefer jigging.

Number 1 problem was they hit very lightly.  On Wednesday we boated about 20 fish before getting blown off the lake. ALL 20 fish were reeled in ( and discovered on the line) while checking the lines,,,,, never once saw a rod move.  Maybe lighter cannon balls would work better?  Tried barely pinching the line in my Scotty releases but that just caused many false releases.

I like it better when a king hits and the drag screams and everybody runs around on the boat.

Nice big fat walleyes!  Very easy to see them on the screen on the bottom (look like lakers).

Don’t get me wrong,,, had a great time and caught some nice fish.

I use the chamberlain release which allow you to set a really light tension for those dirty waldos, but still keep good tension on your line when with the rod…even then sometimes they just swim with the ball.  Good to hear u got into em.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fjaq said:

Finally took the plunge and spent 2 days fishing walleye on Lake Erie, Irving NY area.  First time for us.  The walleye were there and fairly easy to catch. At 6:45am I counted 37 boats within my view in the 60-70 fow area, and this was on a Wednesday!

crawler harnesses and purple spoons worked for us.  Never had a hit on any of my sticks.

Lake Erie gets rough QUICKLY.  Very nasty west wind.

We jig for walleye on the Susquehanna.  I think I prefer jigging.

Number 1 problem was they hit very lightly.  On Wednesday we boated about 20 fish before getting blown off the lake. ALL 20 fish were reeled in ( and discovered on the line) while checking the lines,,,,, never once saw a rod move.  Maybe lighter cannon balls would work better?  Tried barely pinching the line in my Scotty releases but that just caused many false releases.

I like it better when a king hits and the drag screams and everybody runs around on the boat.

Nice big fat walleyes!  Very easy to see them on the screen on the bottom (look like lakers).

Don’t get me wrong,,, had a great time and caught some nice fish.

Once you get used to catching Kings, it's really hard to catch walleyes.  I go a couple times a year for meat runs but otherwise like to target trout and salmon