2021 WATERFOWL SEASON !!!

Well, got out with a buddy yesterday to try some waterfowl hunting for the first time. Had a blast. We each took two out of the first flock that came in and called it a morning. 3 black ducks and a mallard!
AD1AB2EB-F136-4418-98C3-5FAC90A6F034.thumb.jpeg.5e8cf7790b8e7158b584efdb7a047fa0.jpeg
That's awesome , can't beat a good time with friends and some ducks mixed in. 2 duck out of a flock is good shooting and blacks [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were able to put a good mixed bag together yesterday and was finally fortunate enough to kill my #1 target bird this year! My first Redhead. I'm looking to get this guy mounted, Amy suggestions on someone who does quality work on birds?

20211219_073703.jpg20211219_072835.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JakeyBaby said:

We were able to put a good mixed bag together yesterday and was finally fortunate enough to kill my #1 target bird this year! My first Redhead. I'm looking to get this guy mounted, Amy suggestions on someone who does quality work on birds?

20211219_073703.jpg20211219_072835.jpg

Mountain Man in Kendall does a pretty nice job.....

20211219_073703.thumb.jpg.16fc8eb72912c06e5c24ea137c7ed61d.jpg20211219_072835.thumb.jpg.89f2471ee75bad4d212b7fd3794722ba.jpg

Wild encounters, Jeff frisby . I just got back my greenwing and gadwall and was happy with both. I'm taking my pintail and gadwall there for dead mount . IMG_20211012_193448.jpg

Tim Schloss in Erie does outstanding work (he only mounts waterfowl). I’m not sure what side of NY you are on, but  it is worth the ride if you are on the western half. 

Glad to finally see someone getting on good birds. Lake Erie has been slim pickings for divers this year.  That looks like a very nice redhead.

14 hours ago, uplander said:

Tim Schloss in Erie does outstanding work (he only mounts waterfowl). I’m not sure what side of NY you are on, but  it is worth the ride if you are on the western half. 

Glad to finally see someone getting on good birds. Lake Erie has been slim pickings for divers this year.  That looks like a very nice redhead.

I agree. Matt, Check his website out...

1 minute ago, fisherman21 said:

Nice solo hunt this morning. I also shot a hen mallard but she got into the cattails and I couldn’t find her. I’m going to go back later and take another look 

21ADB3D4-897B-4EE5-99E5-FD9B4CF2DBB6.jpeg

If you have a dog or a friend with a dog it wouldnt hurt to bring them. I winged a mallard last year and it got away, brought my dog back later and he tracked it down, granted he is a trained bird dog. Good luck!

Hit the public swamp solo again. This morning was a lot more of a duck day , high winds, overcast with some grit mixed in. More ducks flying today than yesterday. Unfortunately most of them were mergs , a couple nice size flocks of mallards going out to feed but some stopped by to visit. I gave a 3 pack of geese a couple honks to keep them inline looking and down my 1 [emoji23].PXL_20211222_135156735.jpg

1 hour ago, fisherman21 said:

Looked for that duck for an hour to no avail. Bummer. I know it’s right it those cattails somewhere 

Certainly is unfortunate, but what matters the most is that you made the effort to search. Unfortunately, losing ducks is part of the deal in waterfowl hunting.

Got out for a clusterf*** of a solo hunt today. Didn’t really plan on going but woke up early and couldn’t fall back to sleep. Was running behind a little already and got stuck behind a salt truck going 20 all the way down my hill, so it took me almost twice as long to get to the river. Start unloading the truck and realize I left my blind bag with all my ammo sitting in my garage….I did have some 2 3/4” steel 6’s in the truck but figured they would be less than ideal for big late season mallards. Back to the house, grab the bag, back to the river. Well after legal shooting at this point, flushed a bunch of birds from the spot on my way in. Tossed out the decoys and laid out the blind and tucked in. Quite a while went by without even seeing a bird, but around 8:30 a quick little flurry of action gave me my limit. Waited around for black ducks but all I saw were mallards. 

48D628B9-D8E9-425D-A73E-F28A6459365E.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek
Words are hard
  • Like 3

That is a beauty of a Pintail!

Made the drive up and and hunted Lake O today. Rough as heck out there.  My cousin scratched this one out for the wall.  Slow day. Way too rough to get out to where the birds were flying. FF0A7B01-72DC-4D2A-83D8-29FF3F1D00E1.thumb.png.0fb4159fbfbee01bd12b3097f3e9d391.png

• Like 2