2021 WATERFOWL SEASON !!!

Got away Thursday night and did some scouting with my buddy and found a field with 100 in it. We hunted it this morning . Had the a frame up looked dumb as usual but good enough to fool a pair , and 2 flocks. Most of the birds came at once but with all the flocks flying around those ones never worked. Sky had a blast getting back on them birds. IMG_20210904_084532.jpgIMG_20210904_081849.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did some driving around this week and the farmer cut some corn . It took a couple days to build up enough to hunt. So we hunted it this morning. Had great action from 7 to 8 then it slowed right down. I think we ended at 35, 1 band. Seen some late flocks flying on my way home. A nice push of birds for the last Saturday would be great. IMG_20210918_094724.jpgIMG_20210918_093630.jpgIMG_20210918_071916.jpgIMG_20210918_081239.jpgIMG_20210918_081320.jpg

The geese decided to feed last night in the field we hunted in the morning. So why not hunt it again . This morning was heavy fog it had the birds kind of messed up as to where to go and what field to feed in cuz u couldn't see shlt. Picked at a couple flocks and small packs then. When the fog lifted it seemed like some more flocks moved around as the morning went on . 930 was about it for us. We ended with 35 again. Probably saw 5 migrator flocks one flock that decided to come in and a mile high solo . Can't beat them ones that come down balled up that high. Took my buddy's kid out for his first hunt he passed his test last night so he couldn't hunt this morning but had a awesome experience. 1632073725607.jpg

• Like 2

I finally got on a roost/loaf spot we have been trying to get on for a long time . All the birds we hunted last week came from there. I knew it was going to be a good hunt as long as the numbers were still around .Them birds had no clue what was going on, hind and setup was mint. They seen the decoys and balled right in . #geeseoverwaterIMG_20210925_121245.jpg

• Like 1

I went up north this past weekend with a couple of friends for the opener. We split into two groups to spread out and learn the swamp a little bit more. Lots of birds for the first hour. It looked like delta waterfowl out there. Not Sunday tho . All 4 of us got our limits and I got a banded GWT. What a awesome time . This morning nobody woke up lol but me so I went to the swamp myself and scratched out a limit . Can't wait till next year's opener. IMG_20211002_121220.jpgIMG_20211003_134158.jpg

• Like 1

I had the worst opener ever, couldn’t get out on Saturday but went out into Dexter Marsh WMA on Sunday. Saw a few wood ducks and teal, none of them wanted anything to do with me. Had two black ducks working us then guys near started shootings and they left, quite a few ring necks. Glad to see someone had to some success Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

With all this rain I got the day off of work and so did my buddy. We knew the creek was going to be flooded in the cornfield so that's where we ended up. Not many birds have been down there at all this year but knew they were going to show up with all this water. Had lots of wood ducks come in first thing and then we picked away at Mallard's and a black. Even had a flock of darts show up. Awesome morning !! 1635344011228.jpg1635343706489.jpgIMG_20211027_090518.jpgIMG_20211027_073259.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, longspurs said:

With all this rain I got the day off of work and so did my buddy. We knew the creek was going to be flooded in the cornfield so that's where we ended up. Not many birds have been down there at all this year but knew they were going to show up with all this water. Had lots of wood ducks come in first thing and then we picked away at Mallard's and a black. Even had a flock of darts show up. Awesome morning !! 1635344011228.jpg1635343706489.jpgIMG_20211027_090518.jpgIMG_20211027_073259.jpg

That looks like a good time! 

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy and I hunted some public land this morning , lots of mergs only ones we shot were hooded mergs but lots of them . Couple goldeneyes , widgeon, and Mallards. Not a bad morning !!! Great to be back in the swamp. PXL_20211127_152256130.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Buddy and I hunted our river spot. Saw an incredible amount of mallards at first light. At legal shooting we had 50+ mallards in the decoys. We just watched for a while as ducks dropped in and it got light enough to pick drakes. We each took one, retrieved the birds then shortly after we each took our second. We hung out for a few more hours and decoyed a bunch more mallards but no other species showed up apart from some lawn darts. Sure do miss that 4 bird limit on days like that. 

599B6ED8-A025-4500-9583-1F1F06A0438C.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek
  • Like 1

I set up this morning in the wrong spot , i watched ducks dump in this 1 area till I got sick of bird watching and moved. I got all set up then nothing..... I started to unload my gun to leave and look to my right and have a pair locked. Yep miss that 4 for sure. PXL_20211129_143710855.jpg

• Like 1

I did some scouting the past couple days in the swamp. I saw about 20 shovelers feeding a couple days in a row and with most of the backwaters frozen today was the day to try before things open up again and they feed elsewhere . The Mallard's wanted another spot than us but my buddy and I had them shovelers fly over and we dumped 2 . I lost sight of them 2 nice drakes in the flock as they were coming in [emoji107]. PXL_20211210_143625567.jpg

• Like 1