Gander Mountain

I don't think I will be going to Gander Mountain anytime soon. I bought two new to me downriggers and the base from my old riggers are different then the new ones. No big deal, I just called around and found that Gander had "exactly what I needed". $32.99 a piece. With the price I paid for the riggers, this is still going to be a great deal. I drive the 40 minutes to Gander and they do not have"exactly what I need".

The same thing happened to me last summer, I called looking for a certain rod, gave them the model the number. They said they had it. I drove up there to find no rod. The person in the fishing department then tells me that they most have just sold it. Thanks! Just another case of someone saying" O yeah we have that", with out ever checking. what do they care, it's not there business.

I usually try and go to the independent guys but sometimes they do not have certain items, like bases for downriggers. Next time, I'll just have them order it for me. In the end I called Cannon and they ordered the bases for me $7.00 a piece and they should be here any day.

I feel your pain, I hate when that happens. I had that happen at West Marine in Irondequoit a 40 minute drive for me. "Sorry we dont have that part." :o:@

Cripes! Glad you found a better deal through the dealer!

oh I have one for you I bought a brand new gun from them in sep for goose season the first time I take it out it sticks like no tomorrow and wont eject the shells its a pump so I thought it was something I was doing wrong so I have my buddy try it he has the same gun and it is doing it to him. :@ I take it back the the boss says theres nothing they can do but send it back to banelli and it will be a month befor I get it back I tell him I bought it 2 days ago he say "sorry". so we try some other shells that seem to eject fine so I shoot them and they are now jambing at a diff point :devil: I take it back and once again all they can do is send it in I tell him "I buy this gun for duck season and I have to send it away for it thats BS". so I send it away in nov. I go in the store many times and call many times finally jan he says if they dont have it my feb they will give me a full refund something he told me he could not do before well feb 15 I go in and none has seen it and I have to wait till the big boss is there tomorrow to sighn the papers I go back in the next day and he has off :devil: by now I am ready to kill someone after driving 30 min each way and after at least 6 trips. I tell them I want my money and guess what they found my gun it just came in so I was just happy to get it back heres the kicker as I am picking it up the kid behind the counter says "your finally here to pick it up that has been here for at least a month" then the boss of the gun counter says "oh no that was a diff gun" trying to save her own a$$. but I walked out I was soooo pissed at this point it I would have stayed I might just be in jail today lol.

Gander Mountain's leders such poor business people, they must pay our company with certified funds only.

Currently have 5 jobs in-house for them, waiting for them to answer their telephones so we can get paid before we ship!

Sad part is, they are the closest "decent" sporting goods store to me, unless I want to run to Bass Pro Shops.

Their lure prices went up too. $9.00 for a moonshine now. $6.00 for a stingray. I bought stingrays online for $4.75. I used to live in that store and now they can kiss my !@#. Their slicing their own throat and I'm not sure how long they'll be around.

I just moved to Horseheads and all we have is Dick's. Thier selection leaves a little to be desired, but Bass Pro and Gander are pretty far away. I get everything online and have it shipped - most times for free - but even to pay shipping is cheaper and I get it quicker because I can shop for it in my spare time and it comes in a couple of days versus me taking weeks to clear my schedule to take a whole day off to go to the store.

I went to buy some new brown rods. I wanted 7'6 heartlands and everywhere i looked they were 26.95, walk into the scranton pa store grab 6 rods and walk to the counter. The rods rang up at 39.99 a pop. What a hassle to get them to price match :@.

I noticed that to about all their lures, they jacked em up. F%#$ that place, im buying everything online, just go their to check it out in person. Save me some money on my car insurance by switching to geico to,,,,

Not 100% sure about there long term objectives, but they are putting a halt to the seminars they put on in the Rochester and Buffalo area, and that guy who ran them, and some marketing for them, has taken another job.

It doesn't matter whether it's Gander,or Dicks,or cabelas,or any others,They all pretty much suck.I've had some horrible experiences in them all.I went into a local(Mass.) dicks store one day to buy some spoons that are extremely popular on New England lakes for trout.I looked everywhere,in the store but couldn't find any.

So, I ask a clerk,and he tells me that they don't carry them.Unbelievable, a spoon that every regular tackle shop in the area use to carry,(until dicks put them out of business),and they don't have them.

They did however,have a big selection of Musky baits,and a bunch of lake Erie hot spots maps.I fired an email off to them explaining that absolutely no one in this area fishes lake Erie,and there isn't a viable Musky fishery within a six hour drive from this store,yet they don't have the brains to carry a spoon that they could sell tons of.

They got the right name,but they should drop the word "sporting goods" from it.

Cabelas is another place that operates their stores in a similar fashion,although much much larger.Their Hartford Ct.store is only a half hour from me,but i never go to it.After several attempts to buy tackle for local trout lakes,without sucess,I gave up.Of course they have seat covers for trucks,and antler table lamps,and camoflage sofas,but not the right spoon selection.

About a year ago, l ordered some flashers,for a trip I was making to lake O.I needed them quick,so I ordered them with 2nd day air,and paid the extra for it.

Well,the second day comes,and guess what?yep no delivery.I call them up and explain how I ordered them with 2nd day delivery,and the answer I got from a polite woman,was "it's not guaranteed",Whaaat!? not guaranteed? I proceeded to read word for word to her from their catalog,that clearly says "Guaranteed Express" she still didn't get it.

I swear,it was like an episode out of Seinfeld,the one with the rental car reservation.

Lastly,just because these are big companies,it doesn't make for the lowest price.I recently bought a couple of Scotty electric riggers.I ordered them from a small tackle shop in Everett Washington.He was $170.00 less than Cabela's, for the two riggers,and ships anywhere in the us for ten bucks.

I got them in five days via ups.I 'd much rather give my money to local tackle shops,and guys like this,then to a mega store like Cabelas,Bass pro, Gander,Dicks,etc etc.These are the guys that put all the good old tackle shops out of business.

John I'm here for you in more ways the you can think of :lol::lol:

But I have to agree with you.

I just bought some spoons from Captains Cove and they shipped them to me that day and they only charged me what it cost them to ship them. The owner told me they don't want to charge us extra for shipping because you are already buying stuff from them. I will buy what ever I need from these guys because they are a local shop and they go out of there way to help you out.They had to order the spoons I needed and they weren't even open for business yet. Now that's what I call a good business to deal with.

OK my turn. I decide to buy a new shotgun at the end of hunting season. Finally decide on the Winchester SX3- knowing I will spend about $1000. Call Gander, they do not have it in stock but will get it from another store. Guy also tells me they will take my current gun in on trade and give me 75% of the book value towards the new gun.

I look up the book value- between $300-425 so off to Gander in Henrietta I go with my gun. When I get there, I have the pleasure of dealing with the woman who is the manager of the firearms department. She starts off by asking me how much I want to get for my used gun. I reply, 75% of the book value- like I was told on the phone. She explains that is only a "guidline" and not a policy. I tell her that I am buying a $1000 gun from the store and I want 75% of the book value for my old gun- around $300-$350. She offers $175. We argue for 15 minutes until I ask for the store manager. Finally, after about 1/2 hour, I am offered $325. I buy the new gun, and my receipt is about $75 more then I thought I was paying. I ask to see the itemized bill and guess what- she made a mistake when ringing it up. She also "forgot" to give me my $25 gift card that was part of a promotion.

OH- and the kicker- when I picked up my new gun- I found my old gun on the used rack for $525

I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN THAT STORE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for anything!!

I find myself buying more stuff from Captains Cove and A-tom-mik. I like supporting the local shops. I purchase all of my flies and copper supplies from Tom and spoons from Captains Cove. Gander Mountain, Dicks, and Bass Pro here is Western N.Y. suck for trolling supplies. They only carry a couple colors of each brand of spoons (that we all have plenty of). Once some newer colors are gone, that is it for the season. Now that the prices shot up at Gander, I will be 99% of my trolling gear shopping at Captains Cove and one the web through the A-tom-mik site. The only time I will go to Gander is if I get gift cards or need something in a pinch.

Fishing Lake Ontario for the last 30yrs. I have always found it hard to buy tackle relating to trout and salmon fishing. Gander first year wasnt bad. After that it was all down hill. They suck is to put it mildly. Went in a couple weeks ago to buy two cannon balls. When I asked the sales person , he didnt know what a cannon ball was. Anything I need I will take the 40min ride to Captains Cove or Narbys. They are very helpful and if they dont have what you want they will always order it. Mikeb Mr Breeze