Ice, Tackle and Fishing Cleaning in Oswego

WalleyeLJ

Hey everyone, 

Getting ready to head north for our annual pilgrimage to the Kings! Being based out of Henderson Harbor and mostly exclusively going out of Port Ontario and Mexico the last decade, that's where we've always gotten our fish cleaned, block ice and any tackle (because, well, you've never got enough, right?). My Dad finally sold his camper, and the place we're staying for the week is near Oswego. So, since we plan on going out of Wright's all week, three quick questions:

Is anyone cleaning fish at Wright's Landing, and if not, are the usual spots open in Port Ontario? 

Any places that sell block ice as well as cubed in Oswego? Maybe every place does, but figured I ask! 

Best tackle shop(s)? We've always gone to Woody's or Fat Nancy's, which aren't far, but more time on land is less on the water! 

Any info is much appreciated! 

L.J.

Wrights landing has a cleaning station, tackle is best gotten where you got them before. Ice in blocks and cubes is available in Wrights Landing and most gas stations.
The only problem is fish. Fishing is terrible. Most charters go to the sand flats near Henderson Harbor for Lakers because there aren’t any kings to be caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Don’t give up on the kings. Mag spoons in 100 feet or less should produce. Don’t pay attention to temps, fish the marks. 50-60 has been best for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Don’t give up on the kings. Mag spoons in 100 feet or less should produce. Don’t pay attention to temps, fish the marks. 50-60 has been best for me.

My team mates have caught only one small king in the last four weeks, fishing twice a week. They fished off Oswego from anywhere between 70 to 700 feet. The marks are few and far between and the hits even fewer and they refuse to pollute our competition boat with slimers. Off Rochester and to the west things are far better,even though also here it is not stellar. It is just one of those years.

Well, considering how terrible our luck (boat issues and fishing) - 1 king two years ago, 1 brownie last year, I figure it CAN'T be much worse - unless we go zero for 7 days. Maybe we'll bring our bad luck to town and flip the script, and all will fill their boats with Kings! That's one of points of fishing, right... dream the impossible dream...

I'll try to post our days, good or bad. Maybe together we can find the secret spot in 27 trillion gallons of water!

L.J.