Grandsons had a big morning!

Kevin J Legg

I was able to get my grandsons out this morning and we had a great time. First pass with riggers had a big fish hit and while getting the 8 year old situated to fight it the other rigger went. The 5 year old landed a 19” walleye while the 8 year old reeled in the 12lb 3 oz drum. We were also able to land 5 bass two which were over 3 lbs. not a bad morning with my wife being a great help piloting the boat. I even took otoliths of drum for a treasure. IMG_2982.JPGIMG_2984.JPGIMG_2987.JPG65220312488__FA118700-FC05-4613-9DA9-C38BA7D3065A.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 9

Did you fillet the drum? If so, I would be curious to hear how it tasted.

I have been going to try eating one but I’ve read conflicting reports mostly bad. Those that did to eat them were using small fish.I took the otoliths and buried it in my garden.

• Like 1

Drum are delicious. They eat a diet similar to smallies. The key is getting on ice as soon as they are caught. The meat starts to decompose quickly otherwise and will taste fishy. If handled correctly its firm and delicious!! Under 8 pounds are best.

• Like 2

Drum are delicious. They eat a diet similar to smallies. The key is getting on ice as soon as they are caught. The meat starts to decompose quickly otherwise and will taste fishy. If handled correctly its firm and delicious!! Under 8 pounds are best.

Good to know. I know saltwater drum are very good but after researching I was of the opinion that they were questionable especially the larger ones. If I get a smaller one I’ll give them a try.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EsoxAC3 said:

I never tried one.  But as a SCUBA diver I can tell you a major part of their diet in Lake Ontario and the SLR is zebra/quagga mussels.  They tip down, take a scoop of them in their mouth, then you hear a very audible crunch noise.  Kind of like the fresh water version of parrot fish.

They definitely mow zebras! Seen them in stomach contents. Also crabs and the occasional minnow from what i have read. If u look in their mouth u can see they have little hard plates.... for crushing shells I assume. Feel like drum don’t get the credit they deserve. Great fighters, Decent table fare, And they play an important role in our river ecosystem. Cool fish imho.

Yes, they are neat fish I guess.  When they poop you see just see a cloud of "sand", crushed mussels.  I have also seen carp feeding on mussels.   Good thing something likes to eat them I suppose.  We used to do some shallow night dives off the college in Oswego.  Believe it or not the drum often become very docile at night, sometimes allowing us to "pet" them.  A former dive partner was somewhat of a drum "fish whisperer".  She would pet them, hold them, they almost seemed to enjoy it.