Cow Bells with a Rapala?

Hi All,

I use 2 downriggers for Lake Trout (primarily) and LL Salmon. Recently I purchased 2 cow bells/streamers for use when trolling and/or using the downriggers, In thought and peoples explanation to me I have been told the cow bell/streamer appear as a group of baitfish and also as a flash attractor for predators.

I have been thinking and wondering what other users would think of this presentation.

I can use the cow bells off the DR ball and then use the leader to a trolling spoon, but in thinking about it the spoon will follow directly behind the cow bells and may appear the same.

Or, I was thinking that if a used a rapala HJ, TailDancer or X-Rap off the leader the lure will follow, but be slightly lower and appear like the "bait" is an injured baitfish, not able to keep up with the rest of the pod.

Has anyone else used this presentation before with any luck or I am off base in my thinking or do you think it may be a decent presentation? Thanks for any input.

Don't overthink this, either way will be fine. Don't give lakers too much credit.

I used to use small silver or green flatfish behind cow bells for lakers, with good results, that was in Lake George NY. (took a 26"LL on that also (silver FF) BTW where are you fishing. 8)

On Champlain we use 3x set up

We attach a release 3' above the ball, either a silver/blue or silver/green U20 flatfish

with a 3' lead to the blades (bells), blades 3' behind the release.

This works great for us once the water warms up and the lakers are huggin bottom.

Brian

If you have a flat bottom with a consistent depth try a fireplug blue or silver clean about 30-40ft. lead off the ball. Run ball about 2ft. off bottom, the lure will run from side to side across the bottom, the lakers love it. Keep other lines clear of it or you will have a mess.

It works well out side the brake wall at Oswego when your marking all those fish on bottom that won't bite. :) .

• 2 weeks later...

I won the Lake trout division with a 24# laker taken on green spins with blk/slv Jointed J-13 160 fow, the bigger lakers will usually be deeper and like bigger baits. Don't be afraid to try out deeper as well, just make sure you have enough cable to reach bottom and bounce the balls occasionally. 1-3 rigger spread is more than enough, if they are down there you can't keep up with 2 rods firing.

Out west here I run the 7" Cisco KId Wrangler stick Bait by Suick lure company. I run them 50' off the ball clean. The lure will dive on it's own 18 to 20'.

I use to run Cowbells and peanuts , with different offerings out west here. But have had better success by just running them clean and using the malato color lures

I read in some other post some where that bouncing the dr ball off the bottom sort of like a thumper rod will work also,

Q? should you use a dr ball snubber ( not sure if the term is right ) i'd hate to loose everything off the back of the boat if it snagged on something

thanks

ted

Ted

What time of the year are you going to be fishing for lakers, This time of the year out here they are suspended over deep water. There would be no need to bounce bottom. But in another 60 days you will have to get on the bottom for them. I use to use a snubber by

Gold Star http://www.silverhorde.com

Depending on the structure of the bottom , you can count on losing your balls but not snap your cable. So take plenty of balls with you. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...