Loc entries

Finnagain

I am curious how much over the years derby entries have moved up or down .I am just getting back into fishing Ontario after long absence (1990).

Back then grand prize was 19’ grady and f-150 brown trout was aluminum boat , boats were outfitted completely down to coolers.And cash bash entry would pay taxes if you were lucky enough to win .I know fishery always faces challenges but it has to be more than that .I remember east end Mexico launch would have have 75-100 boats launch in am , when in port Ontario boat parade in dark to get out early camera flashing glow lures up before getting to open lake,this year a handful of boats at 7am! .Same in spring when in Olcott met guys from all over the country .Even driving to and from lake to home there would be tons of boats on highway set up to fish Ontario this year I saw maybe 3 !

Is it prize money , economy or interest by anglers ,freakin covid ?
  Myself I spent a year getting a used new to me boat set up to finally get back in the game bc I have had some of the best times in my life fishing up there.It was sad to see so many empty motel parking lots and businesses for sale in Pulaski this year . I was hoping local residents could shed some light on this for me.I know it is complicated and many factors involved but I am blown away with the difference from when I used to vacation up there .

Thankyou Glenn

I am curious how much over the years derby entries have moved up or down .I am just getting back into fishing Ontario after long absence (1990).
Back then grand prize was 19’ grady and f-150 brown trout was aluminum boat , boats were outfitted completely down to coolers.And cash bash entry would pay taxes if you were lucky enough to win .I know fishery always faces challenges but it has to be more than that .I remember east end Mexico launch would have have 75-100 boats launch in am , when in port Ontario boat parade in dark to get out early camera flashing glow lures up before getting to open lake,this year a handful of boats at 7am! .Same in spring when in Olcott met guys from all over the country .Even driving to and from lake to home there would be tons of boats on highway set up to fish Ontario this year I saw maybe 3 !
Is it prize money , economy or interest by anglers ,freakin covid ?
  Myself I spent a year getting a used new to me boat set up to finally get back in the game bc I have had some of the best times in my life fishing up there.It was sad to see so many empty motel parking lots and businesses for sale in Pulaski this year . I was hoping local residents could shed some light on this for me.I know it is complicated and many factors involved but I am blown away with the difference from when I used to vacation up there .
Thankyou Glenn

I remember those days too ! The original ESLO derby and the early days of the LOC Trucks and boats backed up to 104B on Lakeview Rd. Had a real person at the shack to launch ($5.00) From our cottage on Sandy pond you could look out over the lake and see hundreds of navigation lights on boats way before sunrise I’m afraid those days are gone forever. I lost my LOC fishing partner a couple of years ago and it’s hard to get anyone to join ( too early , too rough etc. ) the stocking reductions haven’t helped the fishery. I’ve been out as many times as possible this year , caught fish on (almost ) every trip , buts it’s nowhere near what it was

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So sorry about your fishing partner ,I thought life would get easier with age .I could’nt have  been more wrong.Every day a gift make the best of it I guess.At least we witnessed the heyday !

Hopefully Ny Dec has more control than my state. In ct deep can make recommendations all day long but if political donors don’t approve it will never happen ,I realize things have always been like that to a degree but it sure seems like it has gotten much worse .I see more bears and bobcats than deer while on the roads for last couple years plus Deep biologists begging for season but it doesn’t happen .Way off topic and thank you for responding Chinook35 and glad your getting out and hope you find a diehard regular to join you on the lake.

Glenn

• Like 1

I think it is a lot of factors 

I remember the very first ESLO Derbys 

We grabbed our spinning rods  , a handful of Cleos and hit the piers . 

A 21 ft boat back then was big . Electric riggers were a luxury . There were not  as many charter captains . And we really didn't know how to fish .   10$ to get in . And there was a lot of excitement. 

It has morphed into an expensive sport. 40$ to get in .  The equipment is costly . You get excited and ready to go Sat and the lake is rough . Or you go out and get skunked. And go out the next day and get skunked, again . . My friends don't like salmon trolling , even if we catch fish . They would rather fish bass .

It's,boring if rods are not going off regularly . If not ,it's a boat ride . 

Also the shine has worn off . It's not new any more . 

More guys are stream fishing because it's cheaper , and more hands on . Take a,charter and they sit there till the rod the mate picked the lure ands set  goes off and hands it to him and reels the fish in . 

I really wish that  2 things would happen but I doubt they ever will because we like to step over a dollar to pick up a dime . 

A  bulk price for like 150$  Or so to cover anyone on my boat. Probably more for charters . This one is a no brainer . As long as they have a licence I can pull someone off the street . , This Derby is to promote the fishery . So seemingly they would want as many people out there as possible ,esp first timers . . I am reluctant to ask guys to go because they have to get into the Derby . Had guys register for the day and got blown off . Waste of money . They get turned off . 

I can fish alone . If this would happen , I would buy  a 18 ft center console , equip it and my wife would never see me Derby time 

Also , the best fishing of the year lake wide is 3 rd week in July to 2nd week in Aug . And there isn't a Derby . And I mean big fish Derby , not tourney . 

I

• Like 1

The LOC has made changes time and time again and turned a lot of people off.  Taking the steelhead out of the summer derby was a huge mistake.  I know a lot of guys that no longer buy a derby pass due to this poor decision. 

• Like 3

Thank you for helping me understand whats happened over the years I have been absent .I think the idea of boat being registered makes finding people to go with easier .Over the years many people want to go until its time to go, then you have to scramble to get alternate and have them get in derby.I am nearing retirement age and look forward to extended time to fish up there , thanks for all the input .