Adirondacks canoe fishing

Dan P

I've hunted large brookies my entire life.  Lots of places now days only a shorter ish hike.   I like 5 ponds  North of the Stillwater REs. Many 5 pound Brookies up there. 
 Past few years Lower Sargent has produced large fish,  Spruce has big ones.   I believe the State Record Brook trout came out of Spruce, not Silver Lake.  
Rainbows all over the place throughout.  Just search the DEC stocking list.   Lake Trout, Lake George but motor traffic in there.  

Tons of nice brookies all over the St. Regis Canoe area.  

Brooks spawn in October though, I've never really fished for them at that time.  Might want to check the reg's on that.  A lot may be closed to fishing.  

5 hours ago, Hounds said:

I've hunted large brookies my entire life.  Lots of places now days only a shorter ish hike.   I like 5 ponds  North of the Stillwater REs. Many 5 pound Brookies up there. 
 Past few years Lower Sargent has produced large fish,  Spruce has big ones.   I believe the State Record Brook trout came out of Spruce, not Silver Lake.  
Rainbows all over the place throughout.  Just search the DEC stocking list.   Lake Trout, Lake George but motor traffic in there.  

Tons of nice brookies all over the St. Regis Canoe area.  

Brooks spawn in October though, I've never really fished for them at that time.  Might want to check the reg's on that.  A lot may be closed to fishing.  

You know of any Splake being in any of those waters? Bucket list fish for me 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't normally go when there is too much snow on the ground since I haul my canoe on wheels and not one of the circus members who stash canoes.    Most good ponds you can't fish til April 1st anyways, and never know what its going to do with respect to ICE.   I just ask the Region's biologists what he knows about ice out.   A lot of them are also closed in a couple weeks ( Mid OCtober ) due to spawning.  Don't ask what ponds are open for ice fishing, there are SOME I believe.  I have not ice fished in a few years and it was in Hamilton County, a good hike.   I would pick ponds that have 'relative" short hikes.   
The Sargents have been good, fair fish.  Spruce has good fish.  If you have a super light and pack it ( rather than wheels) , go for it. 

I asked because the backdrop in your picture is all snow, likely after October 15, and before April 1, not to say it isn't a splake from Limekiln, where ice fishing is legal.

I'm not aware of any of the ponds in the Brook Trout program that are open to ice fishing, although that doesn't deter poachers on snowmobiles.

15 hours ago, benclark1240 said:

My family and I are planning to go fishing. Any idea about canoe paddle reviews.

Not sure your question here?  Paddles?  as in actual paddle?  or place to go?  Also as of tomorrow, brook trout specific fishing is done til Spring, they are spawning.  

On 10/6/2021 at 12:51 PM, Fireredcannon said:

I've done well with brook trout in Indian lake at the mouth of where John Mack pond drains into Indian lake, when the lake is at its highest level we got the boat all the way up to where it turns to rocks. Some nice 16-20" Brook trout.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah, I would have thought there are large brookies in that area although it is a multi species lake.  They are almost exclusively Temiscemie Hybrids in there too, live quite long and get big.  

On 10/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, jk1 said:

That is a nice fish, size?  weight?  A 21 incher in Quebec years ago was my biggest......jk

I think over 6 pounds, no scale. Doesn't matter though. Back it went.  Got larger fish in my own ponds.  lol  Multi species area. 

1 hour ago, jk1 said:

Photo makes it look huge, thanks for posting, real interesting to our group......jk

Isnt that what everyone does? Make it look HUGE.    LOL     I have a few 6 pounders in my pond ( I believe the NYS record  but who cares  they are out there in the ADK too )   that don't look that large, and I have caught what I believe are 7+ pound Brookies ( both not netted ) in the remotes in the past 5 years that were maybe looking like only 20".  They were Temiscemie Hybrids in the Five Ponds 'area". 
 Its funny how certain strains such as Windfall will be true Football type while others are more elongated.   Good stuff.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 9:46 PM, Dan P said:

Looking to head to the Adirondacks for a weekend (mid September) and do some canoe fishing / camping. Looking for suggestions on good places to target brook, lake and rainbow trout. 

Old thread but did you end up going?  Any luck?  Best of luck is usually 1-2 months after ice out.  Big brookies 5+ pounds all over the ADK's remotes now days.  But its like a damn Circuit I call it. The circuit finds out and WHAM, only fair fishing left.  Happened to my favorite pond in Five Ponds area.  Took two 5 1/2 pound fish in one weekend. Two years later all I ever got was 2 pounders.    
Spruce and Lower Sargent are decent still, but over fished. IDK about monsters in there anymore.  I know the NYS record ( IMO ) was most likely out of Spruce, NOT Silver Lake.    Rick did a LOT of fishing in Spruce, there are canoes all over in there now.   Shame.