Genesee 9/5/21 Salmon are hitting pretty good.

Chuck Smth

Ted, what is wrong with dead reeling? If you can gain line enough to get them up out of the cold water without them spooking that is a good thing. If you are pumping and reeling you increase the chances of them getting their head around and getting off , especially with cohoes

bigted, on a conventional reel there is no problem reeling against the drag.  On a spinning rod, yes, it causes line twist and should be avoided, but on a conventional no problem. You can set your drag with a scale but as the line peels off the spool the drag force increases, so by always reeling you can monitor how the drag is set. As you lose or gain back line you'll need to readjust. On the small reels used for salmon it's not too big a deal but as you probably know, if you fight a bigger fish on say, a 30 or 50 sized reel you need to stay on top of it. 

So, conventional reel yes, spinning no. 

The other thing is that about half the time mature salmon will make one last dash as they get near the boat. I usually back off the drag and use thumb pressure for the last 30 or so feet on a mature salmon so when they take off I can let them go but still keep the rod bent. That will result in some "dead reeling" too.  Regardless of your drag technique, you always want the rod bent and putting pressure on the fish! Always be watching the rod tip. 

Thanks,

Chuck

51 minutes ago, Chuck Smth said:

bigted, on a conventional reel there is no problem reeling against the drag.  On a spinning rod, yes, it causes line twist and should be avoided, but on a conventional no problem. You can set your drag with a scale but as the line peels off the spool the drag force increases, so by always reeling you can monitor how the drag is set. As you lose or gain back line you'll need to readjust. On the small reels used for salmon it's not too big a deal but as you probably know, if you fight a bigger fish on say, a 30 or 50 sized reel you need to stay on top of it. 

So, conventional reel yes, spinning no. 

The other thing is that about half the time mature salmon will make one last dash as they get near the boat. I usually back off the drag and use thumb pressure for the last 30 or so feet on a mature salmon so when they take off I can let them go but still keep the rod bent. That will result in some "dead reeling" too.  Regardless of your drag technique, you always want the rod bent and putting pressure on the fish! Always be watching the rod tip. 

Thanks,

Chuck

That's all fine.  Been at this a while myself.  Good point regarding the drag tension vs the amount of line on the spool.  Many overlook that.

I'll just say if you are dipping the rod and reeling - while the fish is taking line (or in a stalemate leaning on you) - you are giving the fish an opportunity to take advantage of slack line on a turn, and wasting a ton of effort to boot.

My OP was to point out that there is fish fighting instruction going on in that video, and at the same time poor drag management going on over and over.

One more question: Do you think "side pressure" makes a bit of difference when there's 150+ feet of line out there ?

Tight lines.

Edited by bigted

59 minutes ago, bigted said:

One more question: Do you think "side pressure" makes a bit of difference when there's 150+ feet of line out there ?

Tight lines.

Interesting...I have always applied side pressure when they run.  I have always felt that even with 150 feet out that the side pressure accomplishes two things: it lets me see the line better and I feel I can control the fish/boat better keeping it out of my lines and directed where I would "like" the fish to go while at the same time I feel it keeps the rod "loaded".

I am looking forward to some other options/theories/opinions.

I do get it that there are 150' out and never thought of it that way (does it really "matter"?).