Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

Well mr 9 point didnt follow the script for my cousin tonight the other small buck did. To a tee what we wanted the bigger one to do! We will Keep at him! Another Buddy hit a beautiful buck he was unsure of the hit so just backed out to ve safe. so we are going in at 3 to go check before the rain comes! Fingers crossed, hes a solid buck!!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wanted to get out before the rain but 5:30 woke up and the rain started.

Went out at 10 til it rained at 2 and saw two bucks. Got home and a doe and young son were in the backyard. The deercast app had poor movement but i think the deer are on their feet. The rest of the woods was alive and loud. 

Fun hunt to get it started. 

632955F3-5D39-4640-A473-58D9159C73DC.jpeg

we did not end up finding that buck. We tried to get out before the rain. We started at 4am. Which gave him 9hrs. After a bit of looking we found the arrow which didnt look great looked like maybe 8-10 inches of penetration but had good blood right after for roughly.100yds we found a bed and then another bed and then we jumped him.. And the rain was just starting as we jumped him and looked briefly where he went (it was super thick head high weeds) couldnt find much past like 10yds or so. We think he circled around us and went into the one bottom. So we backed out called a dog. about 2.5-3 hrs later went back in with dog. Dog found the original trail and bed pretty easy. And where he initially ran and then it also became lost where we lost it. We tried a few re starts. Got on one promising lead that we believe was the deer it was about where we thought the deer circled around us. We followed some running tracks for a good ways and not a single drop of blood or anything. Meanwhile it was raining and raining and raining.. We did a little grid searching and let the dog take some tracks around the woods. And never could come up with anything so after another 5hrs we decided to call it completely drenched from the high weeds and hours of rain.
Conclusion, we think maybe one lung hit. It was guartering away. So maybe hit a smidge forward and didnt hit enough to kill it right away. Hopefully he made it and shows up on camera again soon.

Meanwhile on my land couple small buck sightings. Set up cousin to be able to shoot that 9 point and he has not shown up since Friday. I saw a Few does and fawns. But no bigger bucks showing themselves! even Cameras are quiet! Got a cool little buck fight on a cam with a 10 point and 6 point. i set trying to get a pic of the big buck we got the shed from. But he also has not shown up on any cameras yet!

Going to hunt a couple other properties next few days see what I find!

Quieter few days.for me.
Yesterday saw 11 does one small buck in Morn. Afternoon different spot i found some big tracks on a trail so set up on a little spot I made about 27yds off the trail. tracks were going back into the woods from a corn lot next door so thought he may come back in afternoon. Had 2 doe come thru that was it. Wanted to sit it this morning but completely slept thru my alarm.. So this afternoons spot was quiet no action. So back to that other piece in the morn. I did put a cam on the trail while I was out there so I'll check that tomorrow morn after hunting!

we did not end up finding that buck. We tried to get out before the rain. We started at 4am. Which gave him 9hrs. After a bit of looking we found the arrow which didnt look great looked like maybe 8-10 inches of penetration but had good blood right after for roughly.100yds we found a bed and then another bed and then we jumped him.. And the rain was just starting as we jumped him and looked briefly where he went (it was super thick head high weeds) couldnt find much past like 10yds or so. We think he circled around us and went into the one bottom. So we backed out called a dog. about 2.5-3 hrs later went back in with dog. Dog found the original trail and bed pretty easy. And where he initially ran and then it also became lost where we lost it. We tried a few re starts. Got on one promising lead that we believe was the deer it was about where we thought the deer circled around us. We followed some running tracks for a good ways and not a single drop of blood or anything. Meanwhile it was raining and raining and raining.. We did a little grid searching and let the dog take some tracks around the woods. And never could come up with anything so after another 5hrs we decided to call it completely drenched from the high weeds and hours of rain.
Conclusion, we think maybe one lung hit. It was guartering away. So maybe hit a smidge forward and didnt hit enough to kill it right away. Hopefully he made it and shows up on camera again soon.

Meanwhile on my land couple small buck sightings. Set up cousin to be able to shoot that 9 point and he has not shown up since Friday. I saw a Few does and fawns. But no bigger bucks showing themselves! even Cameras are quiet! Got a cool little buck fight on a cam with a 10 point and 6 point. i set trying to get a pic of the big buck we got the shed from. But he also has not shown up on any cameras yet!

Going to hunt a couple other properties next few days see what I find!

Glad you got a dog Joe. Sorry we couldn't make it. Sounds like he will survive. Sounds like the guy went above and beyond to try and find him, kudos to both of you!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Billy was hunting a ravine this morning. 
Buck came flying through on the top of the other side grunting. Buck was out of view so Billy started grunting aggressively. Buck came in on a string right down the creek. 20 yard shot, crushed it. Buck tried to climb up the other side but fell back dead. Didn’t go 40 yards. 

A7768F69-B52F-4CB8-9D3F-AEF286B2C728.jpeg

• Like 24

55 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Billy was hunting a ravine this morning. 
Buck came flying through on the top of the other side grunting. Buck was out of view so Billy started grunting aggressively. Buck came in on a string right down the creek. 20 yard shot, crushed it. Buck tried to climb up the other side but fell back dead. Didn’t go 40 yards. 

A7768F69-B52F-4CB8-9D3F-AEF286B2C728.jpeg

Damn!

Congrats that is a good looking buck!!

Im down for a little bit got the Rona (from my buddy whos deer searched for) trying to feel better so far its killin me, lol pretty much every symptom they say i have. Luckily breathing is still good so far.
So good luck guys hopefully i will have enough energy to get out here in a couple days!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 minutes ago, machzrcr said:

Congrats that is a good looking buck!!

Im down for a little bit got the Rona (from my buddy whos deer searched for) trying to feel better so far its killin me, lol pretty much every symptom they say i have. Luckily breathing is still good so far.
So good luck guys hopefully i will have enough energy to get out here in a couple days!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thats awful.  Get well brother.

Took my buddy's kid out this afternoon for the youth hunt at my lease . I took him out shooting a couple weeks ago so he wasn't scared of the gun (.243) when time comes.
So I picked him up at 230 then stopped at DD for our iced coffees. Got to the lease and in the blind all set up around 4. We are looking over a huge Clover field and the wait begins. Every couple minutes I would look out the window to look for deer because the two of them are buried in their phones.... It was around 5:15 I looked out the window and there is a nice 8 point standing 140 yards away feeding looking right us. I already had the gun and bipod set up for a nice easy shot. He was getting ready to shoot but shaking like a leaf I had to calm him down. "It's just a deer " he's not going anywhere lol. A couple minutes goes by and the deer turns broadside. He says I'm ready. I told him whenever you have the crosshairs on him and your ready shoot. Let me tell u when that gun went off and the deer dropped the blind was going crazy !!!! Hands down the best hunt I ever been on and will never forget. He was the happiest kid ever!!!IMG_20211009_172425.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 11