Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

Hunted this morning, I had a small buck come in first light and then just before 8 I saw a mature buck come off the ridge in front of me.  I had him at 30 yards with the bow drawn 3 different times but could not get a good shot.  He moved into a small field and pushed a group of does into another wood lot.  Saw another 2-1/2  7 point push some does around with the occasional doe feeding through the area.  Back at it tonight.

Smoked this busted up ole bruiser, scrapes were super active and morning activity was good. I think this week with the temps low, we’ll see lots of deer moving. My backyard foodplot has a few bucks checking in during daylight hours. 

B7F132A8-4A89-49C9-AF04-A53C0D618D2D.jpeg

5ACEF5EA-E93A-45A6-8E64-FCED2B12B838.jpeg

• Like 11

It’s funny deer movement should be killer right now but these last two days all my insanely reliable camera movement is just GONE. The neighbors all around the property these last two days all decided to be out around their houses and apparently operating heavy machinery, gotta wonder if that has something to do with it. 

Edited by idn713
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iceman05 said:

Smoked this busted up ole bruiser, scrapes were super active and morning activity was good. I think this week with the temps low, we’ll see lots of deer moving. My backyard foodplot has a few bucks checking in during daylight hours. 

B7F132A8-4A89-49C9-AF04-A53C0D618D2D.jpeg

5ACEF5EA-E93A-45A6-8E64-FCED2B12B838.jpeg

Congrats!

Well……it wasn’t one of the big bucks I have on camera….but it just felt right. One of my goals this season was to take a deer from the ground with my bow. Not out of a blind, but like hide behind a tree kinda hunt. So that I did. My first sit was last week, and I was able to get a shot at a doe from the ground at 22 yards but my arrow hit a sapling I couldn’t see through my peep about 10 inches before it got to the deer. An inch left or right and it was game over. Anyway, fast forward till this morning. I picked a tree to kneel against in the dark and as it got lighter the less and less I liked the spot. I only had one small opening in the direction I thought the deer might come from. I debated moving spots, but it was like that prime deer movement time in the morning, so I stayed put. At about 730 I catch movement to my right and it’s this buck. The way I’m positioned on the tree and with brush right infront of me I had no chance at a shot. The buck kept working to my right and every time he got behind a tree I was quietly straightening my legs out so I could get down to my butt. I somehow got completely turned around without the buck ever knowing I was there. He went behind one last big tree and I drew my bow back and waited for him to come past it. He came past the tree at 32 yards quartering to me. I’m at full draw on my butt. I put the pin in front of the front shoulder and grunted, the buck stopped and I let it fly. I heard the arrow hit the deer and he took off running, but when he went to run he almost face planted. I watched him plow the ground as he ran and I knew I smoked him. He ran to the corner out of my view and after about 5 minutes I heard all kinds of thrashing and knew he was down. I was shaking with adrenaline, and that’s what it’s all about if you ask me. It wasn’t a big buck, but I couldn’t be happier with the hunt and the harvest. I’ll have another valid buck tag in just a couple weeks, and it’s a big guy or bust with that tag. In the mean time, time to thin the doe heard!

C5E70CF4-4143-43A5-81BD-913C7046F63F.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, fisherman21 said:

Well……it wasn’t one of the big bucks I have on camera….but it just felt right. One of my goals this season was to take a deer from the ground with my bow. Not out of a blind, but like hide behind a tree kinda hunt. So that I did. My first sit was last week, and I was able to get a shot at a doe from the ground at 22 yards but my arrow hit a sapling I couldn’t see through my peep about 10 inches before it got to the deer. An inch left or right and it was game over. Anyway, fast forward till this morning. I picked a tree to kneel against in the dark and as it got lighter the less and less I liked the spot. I only had one small opening in the direction I thought the deer might come from. I debated moving spots, but it was like that prime deer movement time in the morning, so I stayed put. At about 730 I catch movement to my right and it’s this buck. The way I’m positioned on the tree and with brush right infront of me I had no chance at a shot. The buck kept working to my right and every time he got behind a tree I was quietly straightening my legs out so I could get down to my butt. I somehow got completely turned around without the buck ever knowing I was there. He went behind one last big tree and I drew my bow back and waited for him to come past it. He came past the tree at 32 yards quartering to me. I’m at full draw on my butt. I put the pin in front of the front shoulder and grunted, the buck stopped and I let it fly. I heard the arrow hit the deer and he took off running, but when he went to run he almost face planted. I watched him plow the ground as he ran and I knew I smoked him. He ran to the corner out of my view and after about 5 minutes I heard all kinds of thrashing and knew he was down. I was shaking with adrenaline, and that’s what it’s all about if you ask me. It wasn’t a big buck, but I couldn’t be happier with the hunt and the harvest. I’ll have another valid buck tag in just a couple weeks, and it’s a big guy or bust with that tag. In the mean time, time to thin the doe heard!

Congratulations.   Thanks for sharing

9 hours ago, fisherman21 said:

Nice job and great story !!

Well i finally got the word after 12 days in the hospital That I'm going home tomorrow! Got to work on my lungs to be able to walk and get endurance again but hoping to be back in the woods soon!!!! Today is day 19 that covid has kicked me out of the hunting game im ready to be back out there!! I have a long way to go but being out of this dang hospital is a good start. Had some good bucks teasing me on camera during the day time so going to have to even the odds here!! But at the same time thankful to be alive and breathing, things did get scary for a couple days!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

Well i finally got the word after 12 days in the hospital That I'm going home tomorrow! Got to work on my lungs to be able to walk and get endurance again but hoping to be back in the woods soon!!!! Today is day 19 that covid has kicked me out of the hunting game im ready to be back out there!! I have a long way to go but being out of this dang hospital is a good start. Had some good bucks teasing me on camera during the day time so going to have to even the odds here!! But at the same time thankful to be alive and breathing, things did get scary for a couple days!

Damn dude, glad you are feeling better.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, machzrcr said:

Wow that’s really scary. Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, machzrcr said:

Kind of puts things in the right perspective. Recently went through a similar event with my wife. Glad your coming through it. Best thoughts!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, machzrcr said:

Man, glad to hear you are on the mend. Praying you have a quick recovery. Looking forward to seeing the monster you will be posting in a couple weeks!

• Like 1