Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

1 hour ago, dvdegeorge said:

Got my target buck he died with is rack wedge under the rail of the train tracks...train took of a few inches of 2 tines and half his ear but I guess I'm lucky he didn't get demolished

hoss dead 1.jpg

hoss dead 2.jpg

hoss hole.jpg

hoss big 1.jpg

hoss big 2.jpg

hoss big 3.jpg

deer train 3.jpg

Thats crazy... Congrats DD!

• Like 1

Been doing my best to shoot a dozen arrows a day since I shot my buck. I'll be in Ohio in two weeks so Im trying to stay on top of my game. Missing being in the woods right now. Especially this time of year but probably best to leave my primary spots alone until gun season. Maybe dip in and check cameras once before the season and that's it. I do have another stand to hang so that might be something I do this week. I figure if I do get the itch I can get some seat time in a secondary set.

IMG_20211101_170003056.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 10/31/2021 at 12:57 PM, dvdegeorge said:

Got my target buck he died with is rack wedge under the rail of the train tracks...train took of a few inches of 2 tines and half his ear but I guess I'm lucky he didn't get demolished

hoss dead 1.jpg

hoss dead 2.jpg

hoss hole.jpg

hoss big 1.jpg

hoss big 2.jpg

hoss big 3.jpg

deer train 3.jpg

I see you used Deer Search, glad they were able to find your deer, great buck!

• Like 2

Welp bit of a long story here. Background is that I hunt my fathers Brockport property primarily and I am also a part of the Irondequoit Police Department Bow Hunt program which aims to control the deer population in the city and prevent car accidents. 

The Bad -  With all the rain lately the property in Brockport is flooded which has drastically altered travel patterns along with doe entry points. This has been coupled with the fact that my Dad decided to put up a metal barn on the front of the property (about 200 yards away from one of my most productive spots) smack in the middle of the bow season and rut. This means the construction crew is banging away and blasting music at 8AM sharp (I know cause I observed this from a stand over said productive location). So all of this has combined to more or less squelch the daytime movement of several really nice bucks that I have on camera. With construction likely continuing through gun season I reset my goals to allow for a bow buck that's reasonable, - if not up to my typical standards. 

So today I had my hunt in Irondequoit and I picked out a prime spot, that I know from past years, that really has a good crack at some rutting action. Today as soon as sun broke I was treated to a cavalcade of wildlife with fox, racoon, falcons, squirrels, and songbirds of all type all around my stand. Combine that with pleasant temps and a doe coming my way, I was a happy camper. The doe fed around in the same spot for half and hour (long time for a deer to loiter) and then fed away with me. I figured that a bit later a buck could come through but it was such a comfortable, life filled morning that I was unconcerned with anything else happening. In the next moment the bushes to the right of me rustled at 18 yards. Well a big bright beautiful Cardinal appeared happy as can be. This was significant, because in May we lost my Father-in-Law (his name was Tom) to liver cancer. He was one of the most amazing men I've ever had the privilege to know and every time we have spoken of him since his passing, a cardinal as appeared as if to say, "I am right here!". Well I smiled at the cardinal and said "Ok Lord, send me a buck this morning, but make sure it had the Tom stamp of approval". 

A half hour later 70 yards behind me I hear grunting, I turn back and see a smaller but mature looking 9 point walking toward me and he is harassing a doe. He is coming right to me but suddenly the doe has had enough of him and jumps the opposite way and quickly moves off. I figure the hunt is done and the buck will follow but the buck whips back around toward me and starts thrashing every bush and tree in sight. I grunt at him to get him to commit but I see him bristle every fur on his body and start stiff legged challenge walking to something that certainly is not my call, its a 6 point buck! He starts fighting the 6 and then a 4 point runs in directly downwind of me reacting to my grunts. Well the 4 sees the two bucks fighting and wants in, so it walks directly under my stand and back 60 yards behind me to meet the bucks and then all 3 bucks square off! Quickly the pecking order forms where the 6 spars the 4 and the 9 spars the 6. At this point I say "Alright Tom, if you bring that 9 into chip shot range, I'll take him". Well what do you know, the three bucks fight their way to 30 yards to the left of my stand behind brush. 

At this point I assume the hunt his done, they will continue on forward and I wont get a shot. At the last moment, the 6 rakes the 4 with it's antlers and the 4 jumps the hedge and runs to the base of my tree. Well the 6 was bristled like a mad dog and sprinted over to the 4 with intent to keep the fight going! As they set to square off again, the 9 comes walking in on their trail and he is also bristled and angry! The 9 walks directly into my shooting lane at 18 yards (EXACTLY WHERE THE CARDINAL CAME OUT) and gives me the broadside. 

I whispered "Thanks Tom", and let it fly. Perfect double lung with the 2" Killzone. He jumped twice and fell over dead. Had a bit of an emotional moment when I watched him fall a mere 50 yards away. 

So, while not the biggest buck in the world, it's one of the most memorable hunts I have ever been on. National Geographic stuff with a fair amount of God's providence mixed in. It is a morning I will not soon forget. 

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

• Like 13

Great story!  On the other hand my mojo is not working. Yesterday on the way an evening sit, I stopped into a Home Depot to pick up a bow hanger. In the parking lot I find a wallet. I turn the wallet in to service and leave believing I surely will bag a big buck with my newly gained mojo!  However, no such luck as I was greeted with a visit from a small six pointer. Today was similar.  I am driving down my street on the way to an evening sit and I come across a car blocking the road. The owner of the car was in a bad state of mind claiming his car ran out of gas. I could tell he wasn’t from the neighborhood which he confirmed he was looking for scrap metal before garbage day. I drove back down the street and grabbed my lawn mower gas can to give him the boost he needed to get to the gas station. With my mojo cup overflowing, I am confident tonight is the night. In my stand, it feels right. About 3:30 I see a buck moving my way. He was doing the typical bird dogging by mouthing seedlings to taste for does in heat. He is on a path to my zone of death at 25 yards then inexplicably he turns 180 degrees and heads back the way he came. At 50 yards I tried to reroute him with my grunt call. The reaction was not what I had hoped for. There must be a bigger buck around because upon hearing the grunt, the buck went from tasting seedlings into trot off alarmed mode. I have never seen a buck act that way to a grunt this time of year. So much for mojo!  Tomorrow I am going to look for some old ladies that need to cross the road. 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 3

On 11/1/2021 at 3:49 PM, ckawaki said:

Nothing like this back home hiked up to 12000 ft today searching for elk as of now just good photos but tons of sing hopefully it will happen7621.jpg7625.jpgIMG_20211101_104343181.jpgIMG_20211101_104225252.jpgIMG_20211101_104218239.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thats awesome. I was out there last year! Hoping to go in a few years again. Great memories!