Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

2 hours ago, idn713 said:

Welp bit of a long story here. Background is that I hunt my fathers Brockport property primarily and I am also a part of the Irondequoit Police Department Bow Hunt program which aims to control the deer population in the city and prevent car accidents. 

The Bad -  With all the rain lately the property in Brockport is flooded which has drastically altered travel patterns along with doe entry points. This has been coupled with the fact that my Dad decided to put up a metal barn on the front of the property (about 200 yards away from one of my most productive spots) smack in the middle of the bow season and rut. This means the construction crew is banging away and blasting music at 8AM sharp (I know cause I observed this from a stand over said productive location). So all of this has combined to more or less squelch the daytime movement of several really nice bucks that I have on camera. With construction likely continuing through gun season I reset my goals to allow for a bow buck that's reasonable, - if not up to my typical standards. 

So today I had my hunt in Irondequoit and I picked out a prime spot, that I know from past years, that really has a good crack at some rutting action. Today as soon as sun broke I was treated to a cavalcade of wildlife with fox, racoon, falcons, squirrels, and songbirds of all type all around my stand. Combine that with pleasant temps and a doe coming my way, I was a happy camper. The doe fed around in the same spot for half and hour (long time for a deer to loiter) and then fed away with me. I figured that a bit later a buck could come through but it was such a comfortable, life filled morning that I was unconcerned with anything else happening. In the next moment the bushes to the right of me rustled at 18 yards. Well a big bright beautiful Cardinal appeared happy as can be. This was significant, because in May we lost my Father-in-Law (his name was Tom) to liver cancer. He was one of the most amazing men I've ever had the privilege to know and every time we have spoken of him since his passing, a cardinal as appeared as if to say, "I am right here!". Well I smiled at the cardinal and said "Ok Lord, send me a buck this morning, but make sure it had the Tom stamp of approval". 

A half hour later 70 yards behind me I hear grunting, I turn back and see a smaller but mature looking 9 point walking toward me and he is harassing a doe. He is coming right to me but suddenly the doe has had enough of him and jumps the opposite way and quickly moves off. I figure the hunt is done and the buck will follow but the buck whips back around toward me and starts thrashing every bush and tree in sight. I grunt at him to get him to commit but I see him bristle every fur on his body and start stiff legged challenge walking to something that certainly is not my call, its a 6 point buck! He starts fighting the 6 and then a 4 point runs in directly downwind of me reacting to my grunts. Well the 4 sees the two bucks fighting and wants in, so it walks directly under my stand and back 60 yards behind me to meet the bucks and then all 3 bucks square off! Quickly the pecking order forms where the 6 spars the 4 and the 9 spars the 6. At this point I say "Alright Tom, if you bring that 9 into chip shot range, I'll take him". Well what do you know, the three bucks fight their way to 30 yards to the left of my stand behind brush. 

At this point I assume the hunt his done, they will continue on forward and I wont get a shot. At the last moment, the 6 rakes the 4 with it's antlers and the 4 jumps the hedge and runs to the base of my tree. Well the 6 was bristled like a mad dog and sprinted over to the 4 with intent to keep the fight going! As they set to square off again, the 9 comes walking in on their trail and he is also bristled and angry! The 9 walks directly into my shooting lane at 18 yards (EXACTLY WHERE THE CARDINAL CAME OUT) and gives me the broadside. 

I whispered "Thanks Tom", and let it fly. Perfect double lung with the 2" Killzone. He jumped twice and fell over dead. Had a bit of an emotional moment when I watched him fall a mere 50 yards away. 

So, while not the biggest buck in the world, it's one of the most memorable hunts I have ever been on. National Geographic stuff with a fair amount of God's providence mixed in. It is a morning I will not soon forget. 

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

Congrats!

• Like 2

Finally connected with a buck yesterday morning.  Although he isn't the biggest buck, there were several factors that lead to me deciding to take the shot.  I took Monday and Tuesday off from work to hunt, and i told my oldest son (7 years old) that if i happened to kill a buck in the morning either of those days, i would pull him out of school to help track it.  Between that, limited time to hunt the rest of bow season, and the fact that i had my new Tactacam Solo camera on my bow, i decided i was going to let an arrow fly.  I was sitting along the edge of a corn field that was partially chopped the day before by my father-in-law.  At about 7:30, he came wandering through along the edge of the corn field.  I quickly turned my Tactacam on as i saw him approaching, and drew back as he crossed behind some pine branches.  I stopped him broadside at 12 yards and made a good shot on him.  He turned 90° and ran down through the corn field about 50 yards before staggering and falling over.

After that i kept my promise and got my oldest son out of school and him and my 4 year old helped me "track" it.  Their excitement and reaction after finding the buck just reaffirmed my decision to take him was the right one!  As others have said on here, not my biggest bow buck, but one of the most memorable ones.  The tactacam video turned out awesome, but the file is too large to load.

Resized_20211102_074149.thumb.jpeg.ebbd7b4f9c9ad3ea11709302a2e9718d.jpeg

Resized_20211102_085439.thumb.jpeg.075dd73ea05f0f68248fc9ff576ec776.jpeg

Resized_20211102_092906.thumb.jpeg.733e6eb7f06bc32a3dd891880f11e94e.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Sat till 11 had 7 does in front of me on public was hoping the big 8 would come out but never showed lots of action.. unfortunately on the way out I slipped going up a bank and nocked my 25 yard pin out not I gotta sight the bow back in  

Guppy,

That's awesome, man. Nothing better than getting the kids involved. Don't be ashamed of any deer, we all decide what we want to take and that's what's nice about it. You made the decision and made a good shoot. Kudos and congrats!!

34 minutes ago, Guppy35 said:

Finally connected with a buck yesterday morning.  Although he isn't the biggest buck, there were several factors that lead to me deciding to take the shot.  I took Monday and Tuesday off from work to hunt, and i told my oldest son (7 years old) that if i happened to kill a buck in the morning either of those days, i would pull him out of school to help track it.  Between that, limited time to hunt the rest of bow season, and the fact that i had my new Tactacam Solo camera on my bow, i decided i was going to let an arrow fly.  I was sitting along the edge of a corn field that was partially chopped the day before by my father-in-law.  At about 7:30, he came wandering through along the edge of the corn field.  I quickly turned my Tactacam on as i saw him approaching, and drew back as he crossed behind some pine branches.  I stopped him broadside at 12 yards and made a good shot on him.  He turned 90° and ran down through the corn field about 50 yards before staggering and falling over.

After that i kept my promise and got my oldest son out of school and him and my 4 year old helped me "track" it.  Their excitement and reaction after finding the buck just reaffirmed my decision to take him was the right one!  As others have said on here, not my biggest bow buck, but one of the most memorable ones.  The tactacam video turned out awesome, but the file is too large to load.

Resized_20211102_074149.thumb.jpeg.ebbd7b4f9c9ad3ea11709302a2e9718d.jpeg

Resized_20211102_085439.thumb.jpeg.075dd73ea05f0f68248fc9ff576ec776.jpeg

Resized_20211102_092906.thumb.jpeg.733e6eb7f06bc32a3dd891880f11e94e.jpeg

• Like 1

Deer movement was minimal where I was but the southern tier had a coating of wet snow that made quite a racket when it all started falling off the trees. A giant coyote came by and ran right towards my morning deer movement direction. Then I had a woman walking her German Shepard (WMA illegal) come by at 9 and back at 10:30. This is the fourth hunt she has ruined so I gave it to her good. Personally, I think she lives bordering the state land and conducts deer drives for her husband. She wears an orange  hunting vest so she appears to know what she is doing. Hi light of the day was a grouse putting on quite a display on a strutting log. Off to Allegheny County for the next three days. Staying in a hotel that promises a free nights stay if you shoot a ten pointer (true). 

9 hours ago, Legacy said:

Wow. Blackhorn 209 powder is hard to come by. Just found some online and Im literally paying double with shipping.

PM me the website.  I want to get another container.  

Congratulations to all who scored! I see no need to qualify a clean kill with "it's not the biggest buck" though. We focus too much on the rack and not enough on the enjoyment of the day. I love the stories leading up to the shot...Isaac's tale got me teared up...and I'd rather a season of good hunts than a big buck any day (not casting shade on Rob's buck - it would have been tough to pass on). 

• Like 6

I wonder if a spike/scrub buck tag would work. 4 or less points and lower than double height of the ears. Hoping that the bucks were over a year old. 

might help with the jene pool

id pay triple for sabbots right now. 

18 minutes ago, Smat64 said:

I wonder if a spike/scrub buck tag would work. 4 or less points and lower than double height of the ears. Hoping that the bucks were over a year old. 

might help with the jene pool

id pay triple for sabbots right now. 

Check the Ammo Bee in Caledonia?