Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

On 11/6/2021 at 7:35 PM, machzrcr said:

I dont mind someone using a crossbow they have their time and place. My biggest thing is the crowd of people who mainly have bought crossbows. Buy it shoot it once or twice and its good. Then want to walk around and use it like a gun or take stupid shots becuase its a crossbow.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They need to be treated the same as a compound.  I wouldn't shoot any further with my crossbow than I would with my compound.  The stupid shots are due to the way they are categorized by the DEC.  If guys had to take a bow course to use them, they might have some knowledge on how to use them.  My son just finished his hunters safety online course last night.  The video categorized them as archery equipment not muzzleloaders but the DEC classifies them as a muzzleloader.  So dumb.....

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

They need to be treated the same as a compound.  I wouldn't shoot any further with my crossbow than I would with my compound.  The stupid shots are due to the way they are categorized by the DEC.  If guys had to take a bow course to use them, they might have some knowledge on how to use them.  My son just finished his hunters safety online course last night.  The video categorized them as archery equipment not muzzleloaders but the DEC classifies them as a muzzleloader.  So dumb.....

I would have to agree here, being with Deer Search to track big game you get to really see what is happening with cross bow errors. Some guys will say right away I shouldn't have taken the shot, others say it should have been a kill shot, etc etc. Our call load jumps up a lot w Xbows due to really stupid shots.

The scope gives false confidence.  After you take the shot you realize that it wasn't a good idea. When the adrenaline fades all you have is regret.

I don't see the state changing anything because of the additional revenue.  I am sure muzzleloader permit sales went up significantly.

1 hour ago, whaler1 said:

Well it’s pretty warm out, Drury says I shouldn’t be in the woods, but it’s pretty damn beautiful out today.  Hey, you never know. 

FA298A22-7800-460B-BCB1-CC51CEC7A4E4.jpeg

It's November... My advice spend every day you can in the woods during the month of November!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

I certainly agree that crossbow users should be required to take the archery course.  One needs to know about proper shot placement, shoot-no shoot scenarios, wait times and trailing skills.  All of which are very different from using the thunder sticks.  On the other hand, everyone I know that uses a crossbow is an experienced archer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jperch said:

I certainly agree that crossbow users should be required to take the archery course.  One needs to know about proper shot placement, shoot-no shoot scenarios, wait times and trailing skills.  All of which are very different from using the thunder sticks.  On the other hand, everyone I know that uses a crossbow is an experienced archer.

My coworker caught 3 guys trespassing on his property with crossbows last year.  They were doing deer drives with crossbows.......   

When NY State finally mimics PA and lets us use crossbows during the whole archery season it will be a great day. I have never understood the disdain by many towards the people who choose to use a crossbow. Choosing to use a compound bow doesn't make you a better hunter or a more ethical hunter, it just means you prefer what you are comfortable with. It all comes down to the individual and how much discipline and integrity they have or may not have. Be safe, be smart and aim for the heart and lungs!

A special thank you to everyone on this thread who has honorably served our great nation or who is currently serving. 

• Like 9

Heading to Southern Ohio Outfitters in SE Ohio today. Looking forward to being back in the game and spending Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in the woods. All day sits are on the agenda and with a cold front settling in it looks to be almost perfect conditions. Cell signal sucks there but Im hoping to do some stand reports.

One week to go... Good luck everyone! 

• Like 4

I hunt with compound and crossbow both, and there is a striking difference between them in terms of the preparation necessary to kill a deer cleanly. Not having to draw and hold a crossbow is a significant advantage, too. In other words, it's a more effective weapon. Unfortunately, this tends to bring out folks who simply don't want to put in the time...not everyone certainly, but more so than with a compound. I have a similar regard for folks who pick up their bow a week before season. 

So, I love hunting with my crossbow, and I see clear advantages as I get older, but I recognize that there are drawbacks (pun intended) to including it in bow, as well.

Well I made it out for the first afternoon tonight since Oct 5th! I lugged my o2 tank and my buddy carried ny stuff for me! But we sat a spot i havent even been to yet this yr. Scouting or anything, so made sure i was still good to hunt there and we went out. The owners mowed their lawn till like 420. And we werent crazy far because i cant walk too far yet lol. But we sat and ended up seeing 4 does and 2 bucks. One 2.5 yr old bumping does around and pushing away the yr and half old! Was going to shoot a doe if one gave a cake shot but they stayed just far enough away! But felt good to be out! Still have a long way to go before my breathing is good deffinitely needed to stop and rest to catch my breath on the walk back which was uphill! But felt good to be outside and got to see some deer!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 10