Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

Well I made it out for the first afternoon tonight since Oct 5th! I lugged my o2 tank and my buddy carried ny stuff for me! But we sat a spot i havent even been to yet this yr. Scouting or anything, so made sure i was still good to hunt there and we went out. The owners mowed their lawn till like 420. And we werent crazy far because i cant walk too far yet lol. But we sat and ended up seeing 4 does and 2 bucks. One 2.5 yr old bumping does around and pushing away the yr and half old! Was going to shoot a doe if one gave a cake shot but they stayed just far enough away! But felt good to be out! Still have a long way to go before my breathing is good deffinitely needed to stop and rest to catch my breath on the walk back which was uphill! But felt good to be outside and got to see some deer!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Glad to see you made it out!

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If it helps folks out (even those in Ohio), I spent a lot of time in the woods last week. The woods are mostly vacant of any mast crops or apples. The deer have really taken to green fields. The does are bedding in thick secondary growth near field edges and are acting like they do during gun season by not moving much as they are in hiding from bucks. I watched doe groups move less than 100 yards in an entire all day sit. If you hunt the big woods, you will think there are not many deer around unless you can find a pile of Hickory nuts.  The clock is ticking. Dead deer finally showing up on roadways tells us  there has been an uptick in activity. Buck sightings really started to increase Saturday. 

• Like 1

November 12
Low 41 high 58
Calm becoming breezy from 10-2 and then calm again
Sunny skies turning cloudy

Day one Ohio...
Not a whole lot of action was the word at camp. Every one of the 14 of us here sat all day. Some chasing and two shooters seen by the group. I saw deer on the walk in, 9:00, 11:00, 2:00. Only one small buck with his nose to the ground.

Cold front moved in so hopefully that helps the action for the next couple of days.

IMG_20211112_072005643.thumb.jpg.24e5f985c3824835029edb9a8ebad255.jpg

November 13
33 low 45 high
Partly sunny
West wind 10 mph

Ohio day 2
Spent the day on the same ridge that I hunted all day yesterday. The only change was at 11 I moved to a different set about 400 yards down the ridge. Had deer around at all times of the day. A few small bucks cruising.
Word at camp was there were a ton of bucks seen including some shooters. Better action than Friday.
Two bucks were shot at camp on Saturday. A nice ten point about 4 in the afternoon. Guy made a great shot on it and the deer never made it past 40 yards and fell over.
Second deer was shot at dusk. Guy that shot him says his shot was back a bit so they let that deer go overnight. Dog tracker will be here in the morning to hopefully find it.

IMG_20211113_130742466.jpg

November 14
Low 33 high 45
West wind 19 mph
Cloudy skies
Flurries/rain off and on through out the day

Nothing to report. Never saw a deer. Certainly feast or famine during the lockdown portion of the rut. Some guys at camp had some solid action but not me. A guy had an encounter with a "booner" chasing does. Probably another half dozen or so shooters spotted on the feet today. Another solid deer was shot at dusk so they plan to go in the morning to look for it.

Good news is the dog found the deer that was shot at last light on Saturday. Deer was gut shot and the arrow exited through the back hip. Two drops of blood. 600 yards. The dog found the deer without any hesitation in less than ten minutes. Amazing.

IMG_20211114_084332990.jpg

• Like 1

It's a real pleasure to get to see a good dog work. Tough luck not seeing much activity two of three days, but it sounds like 25% of your crew scored, and that's not bad for fair chase.