Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

Deffinitely some good bucks there!!

I have been out a couple times. Mostly places i can get somewhat close to with a wheeler and then walk. I cant walk too far, I still have to lug my o2 bottle around when I walk lol but getting where i can!

Seen a few deer couple small bucks. Hunted my doe spot again tonight with my nephew and we had 3 does ad a 2.5 yr old come out but they didnt get closer than 100yds. They came out where i sat last time! Lol.

Have one buck that has been playing cat and mouse on my property, not huge but a good buck I will take him if he finally makes a mistake! Would like to arrow one before gun opens so doing what i can with how i feel! Lol

But sure feels nice to be out enjoying the woods again!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

My wife connected on one of our shooters during her Rut cation on Nov 5.  Shot him at 18 yards with her Vertical bow.  He started visiting one of our kill plots to tend a scrape.  After 2 days he daylighted a visit in the am (Thank you Tactacam Cell Cam for the info) and she slipped in there in the afternoon.  She saw him that afternoon but couldn't get a shot.  Next day she sat the kill plot all day, he didn't show up but he was on an every other day pattern to this scrape.  On the third day she sat the plot, she put an arrow thru him at 10am as he came in to check the scrape.  He went a 120  yards and tipped over.  I couldnt be more proud of her.  She puts a ton of time in. 

Mars 10.jpg

Edited by Tall Tails
  • Like 14

Got out this morning sat till noon on a plot that a 130ish 8 has been hitting last 3 mornings... Well i sat till noon nephew had to go to a dr apt. So had to leave no deer. Did see one buck running around neighbors headed into my property. but doesnt a BIG 8 hit the other plot near me but i never laid eyes on him... So may be sitting that all day tomorrow...

We're you Vaccinated? Check this site. www.lc.org/Vaccine.

Lots of adverse reactions and problems are happening to people. It might explain it.

On Thursday I was seconds away from death. Got your attention?  I will preface this story by stating I am a fit adult with no underlying medical conditions and I have been using a climbing treestand for 36 years.  Hunting a state land tract Thursday afternoon I had an interesting start to my day. As I was hauling up my bow and backpack up the tree I developed a severe cramp in my right pectoral muscle. Unlike most cramps that you can stretch and massage the pain away, I found I was not able to do so. I tried moving my arm and shoulder but the lancing pain continued. I also noticed that in my haste to get up the tree, I had neglected to put the safety rope around the tree and clip in my harness. “Crap”, I thought, “am I having a medical emergency “?  My next thought was I need to get clipped in fast!  I struggled with the pain while trying to get the rope around the tree. I started to get a little nauseous and tunnel vision started. I told my self not go out as the black shroud started to descend on me. I sucked in air like jet pilots do when pulling heavy g-force turns to prevent passing out and I was just able to stay awake long enough to secure my harness clip, kneel down on the platform, hug the tree, and tell myself “no matter what, just hang on”. I passed out almost the instant I hugged the tree. When I came to, I was squatting at the end of the platform, leaning against the harness tether still hanging on with both hands on the platform wires. I don’t know how I slid all the way down to that position or how long I was out for. I knew where I was and what had happened. My scalp (shaved head) was frozen because I don’t put my hat on initially to reduce sweating, but the rest of my body was super sweaty. Amazingly enough, my $1,000 bow set up and back pack remained leaning up against the tree on the seat. When I hugged the tree before going out I was hugging/pressing the bow and pack between my chest and tree. How I slid off the tree without knocking down my gear is a mystery. Given how cold my scalp felt, I think I was out maybe 10 -15 minutes??  I got lucky!!!!  The takeaway should be ALWAYS make sure you are clipped in at all times. Bad things can happen in an instant. Tests were negative for heart attack with the most likely diagnosis of stress/pain induced vaso/vagal syncope or …. I had an ouchy and I fainted. Stay safe out there folks!

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was vaccinated Dec 2020/ Jan 2021. Doubt it was from that. There have been 7.52 BILLION doses of COVID vaccine administered worldwide. We have a huge population of vaccinated people. The side effects are not worth spending a minute of discussion on as they are inconsequential. 

• Like 4

Getting stoked for opener, hopefully some early morning magic is in store for us! 
The opener is a love hate relationship! It is nice to be able to reach out and touch them but the amount of people around and the "hunters" that come out of the wood work for their 3 days a year. I look forward to gun ending the day it starts so we can go to muzzleloader season lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, machzrcr said:

The opener is a love hate relationship! It is nice to be able to reach out and touch them but the amount of people around and the "hunters" that come out of the wood work for their 3 days a year. I look forward to gun ending the day it starts so we can go to muzzleloader season lol

Agreed... I already cant wait for the gun season to be over and the late season to begin!

Leave your northern deer alone for opening week. The neighbors will push deer onto your properties for when you return. Join in the fun on a large southern tier block. In the big woods, hunter movement can be welcome.

2 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Leave your northern deer alone for opening week. The neighbors will push deer onto your properties for when you return. Join in the fun on a large southern tier block. In the big woods, hunter movement can be welcome.

I lived this for 20 years. I always spent the first few days on southern tier property and then hunted my normal stuff for the rest of the season.  Down there the "locals" literally would start doing drives at 8:00 am on opening day. I hunted with them before and I knew when and how they pushed everything around me. They have a am schedule and a pm schedule and do it all through gun season. It 100% killed the season for me after that opening weekend. 

• Like 1

Yep. Different strategy. Down there you play the game of determining hunter movement opposed to pure deer movement. I will do the work and get back 3/4 mile at least and never see a soul. Sit right in the middle and let the day unfold. Lately, deer drives don’t happen until the second week. I am seeing the evolution of the public land hunter into treestand use

I have the same feelings about gun season but it's different this year with my daughter being 12.. between volleyball, softball pitching and basketball we didn't get many opportunities with the bow. I only hunted 2 days without her and I'm normally a die hard like you guys, it's funny what the kids do to you...  I just didn't want to shoot one and have her disappointed. it's a lot of fun and can't wait for her to wrap her hands on some antlers!  I think this weekend is going to be good. Good luck and stay safe! 

I'm excited to try out a new gun. Been wanting a patrol style rifle for deer hunting (short, light, compact). For where and how I hunt someting that's quick to the shoulder and easy to carry is ideal. I found a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 300 blackout at the local store so I bought myself a birthday present. I won't have it ready to go for the opener but should be good to go by the second weekend. Anybody have experience witht this caliber on deer? I think i am going to shoot a 150 grain ballistic tip (I'll have to order offline). Shots will be kept to under 100 yards. 

Edited by dawsonscreek

Well i finally put an arrow in one, shot looked a little far back, I watched her walk down the field a ways lick her self then she looked hurt and stumbled into the field then stumbled into the woods. So I waited till after shooting time and did a quick look didnt see arrow or any blood within first 10 feet so just backed right out, decided play it safe and go back this morning. And she was dead right where i saw her go in the woods! A buddy came out to drag for me since i cant so that was very helpful! After everything ive been thru it sure means a lot to be able to be get out and still do what i love!! Still working thru wearing my o2 but not letting it keep me down! Now time to put a buck down! 98048.jpg

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, machzrcr said:

Well i finally put an arrow in one, shot looked a little far back, I watched her walk down the field a ways lick her self then she looked hurt and stumbled into the field then stumbled into the woods. So I waited till after shooting time and did a quick look didnt see arrow or any blood within first 10 feet so just backed right out, decided play it safe and go back this morning. And she was dead right where i saw her go in the woods! A buddy came out to drag for me since i cant so that was very helpful! After everything ive been thru it sure means a lot to be able to be get out and still do what i love!! Still working thru wearing my o2 but not letting it keep me down! Now time to put a buck down! 98048.jpg

Awesome to see you connect! Congrats!