Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

14 hours ago, Roys Boys said:

Could try to leave orange up in a tree. A friend of mine was having issues so he put cell trail cameras above eye level in the woods and caught them.. he had a climbing stick he hung them with

He hung the trespassers when he caught them!?!?   Maybe a bit harsh but it’ll stop them 😜

12 hours ago, fishshack said:

He hung the trespassers when he caught them!?!?   Maybe a bit harsh but it’ll stop them 😜

Lol no hung trail camera with climbing sticks.. sucks when you lease and put money and time into a 1 acre food plot and guys walk past leased posted signs

Edited by Roys Boys

My son Cam shot his biggest buck to date last night! It has been real slow hunting for us all gun season but he has stuck with it and it paid off. Cam had History with this deer he had shot it back on OCT 15th with his bow but the shot was low and back but luckily it showed up on trail cameras a few days later so we believed it had survived the encounter. In my son's words I feel bad but I learned a lot from the experience. Well last night we were sitting together in a Hedge row over looking a winter wheat field and this buck stepped out at over 350 yards and even though he shoots his 270 very well he passed on the shot and I think it was the right decision. The deer went back in the woods but stepped out again but this time it was 250 yards so he decided to take the shot and dropped the buck in his tracks it was a great moment for us and I am very happy I decided to go with him so I could witness the whole thing!

Cam 2021 Buck.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Gene Shenk said:

My son Cam shot his biggest buck to date last night! It has been real slow hunting for us all gun season but he has stuck with it and it paid off. Cam had History with this deer he had shot it back on OCT 15th with his bow but the shot was low and back but luckily it showed up on trail cameras a few days later so we believed it had survived the encounter. In my son's words I feel bad but I learned a lot from the experience. Well last night we were sitting together in a Hedge row over looking a winter wheat field and this buck stepped out at over 350 yards and even though he shoots his 270 very well he passed on the shot and I think it was the right decision. The deer went back in the woods but stepped out again but this time it was 250 yards so he decided to take the shot and dropped the buck in his tracks it was a great moment for us and I am very happy I decided to go with him so I could witness the whole thing!

Cam 2021 Buck.jpg

:yes: Great story ..... Fantastic memory for you both!!! Congrats!

• Like 1

1227018345_Cam2021Buck.thumb.jpg.606e5cc25e09c04ac3abde8d5661cd59.jpg

Awesome story
Any information on thus deer surging the original bow hit? Was it weakened, infected, meat tainted etc etc?
I’m curious what happens to these magnificent creatures following a non lethal hit
Thanks and congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome story
Any information on this deer surviving the original bow hit? Was it weakened, infected, meat tainted etc etc?
I’m curious what happens to these magnificent creatures following a non lethal hit
Thanks and congrats

48 minutes ago, momay4000 said:

Awesome story
Any information on thus deer surging the original bow hit? Was it weakened, infected, meat tainted etc etc?
Thanks and congrats

He hit it low and back quartering away it punched through the lower flank came out cut the bottom of the chest and cut the opposite front leg. The only infection was in the front leg just above the hove but it had not spread. When we saw it last night it was walking just fine so my thought was it would have made it through the winter but you never know. We are glad that story ended on a positive note and my son said he learned a lot from the experience and believes it will make him a better hunter. 

• Like 2

He hit it low and back quartering away it punched through the lower flank came out cut the bottom of the chest and cut the opposite front leg. The only infection was in the front leg just above the hove but it had not spread. When we saw it last night it was walking just fine so my thought was it would have made it through the winter but you never know. We are glad that story ended on a positive note and my son said he learned a lot from the experience and believes it will make him a better hunter. 

What a great story! Thanks for sharing and congrats again!!!!!

• Like 1

I’m looking to purchase a muzzleloader for next years season, and after reviewing some of the content on Legacy’s thread over the last few years, I’m kind of leaning towards the CVA Accura LR-X.  I’d like to be able to shoot out to 250 – 300 yards, so I was leaning towards the .45 cal. instead of the .50 cal. for two reasons.  From what I read online the .45 has a faster twist rate (1:22” instead of 1:28”), and should also have less drop and better trajectory than the .50 cal.  Just looking for some advice on whether this is a good route to go?  Chromeslayer also recommended the possibility of having a CVA Scout V2 45-70 converted to a muzzleloader, but I don’t think I want to invest quite that much.

Also looking for a recommendation on a decent MOA scope that would be best for that muzzleloader in order to shoot 100-250 yards without breaking the bank too bad.