Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

Five minutes and 400 yards apart - both dropped in their tracks. The most fun was weaving the ATV through all the standing water and downed trees to recover them lol!! The woods are a mess.

December 17 pm
42 degrees
WNW wind breezy becoming calm
Partly sunny

Great to see the crazy wind was finally letting up. Quiet this afternoon until about 415 or so. After that deer started to funnel into the winter wheat pretty steady. Saw about 15 or so including a shooter. Unfortunately he work into the wind and away from me. It's been too long since I have seen something worthy.

IMG_20211217_145553046_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Gator said:

Five minutes and 400 yards apart - both dropped in their tracks. The most fun was weaving the ATV through all the standing water and downed trees to recover them lol!! The woods are a mess.

I noticed the same thing yesterday... tons of trees down. Anything that was standing dead is down now!

5 hours ago, woody 184 said:

Brian I Need the story on that muzzleloader success story….

I was hunting a stand along the swamp in the hardwoods.  I heard deer crashing in the swamp for minutes before a doe came flying out of the swamp.  Four bucks followed chasing her back into the swamp.  Minutes later does were pouring into the hardwoods out of the swamp.  The doe from before came back into the hardwoods with the boys in tow.  The eight I shot and a giant four were standing next to each other 125 yds out.  The eight stepped into a clear lane and I took the shot.  I didn’t realize he dropped because deer were running everywhere.  I texted Keith back letting him know I thought I put a good shot on a buck.  I got down to look for blood and found him piled up where I shot him.  As I texted Keith to let him know I dropped the buck, I heard him shoot at the other end of the property.  He texted me back telling me he just dropped an eight point also!  We joked on the ride over about doubling up on doe as the plan for the evening.  Very cool to drop bucks minutes apart! It’s been a great season and this just adds to the many memories hunting with Keith and our crew!

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 11

It was ~4:45 when Brian shot, and I almost got out of my stand when he sent me a picture of his buck and walked the 3/4 mile to the ATV - but then figured I should at least give it until 5 pm.

Good decision.

I hadn't seen a deer up until then, but we all know how fast things change in the woods. Interestingly, the buck I shot was not in the group that Brian saw chasing doe. And after he shot, those deer went an entirely different direction. By OnyxHunt, I was 433 yards from him as the crow flies across some gnarly swamp. So just coincidence? Or that magic half-hour when everything gets up, which we wouldn't have been able to hunt last year. Thank you, DEC!

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

December 20 pm
SW wind 5-15
38 degrees
Partly cloudy

Late report...
Not much to report on. Small buck entered the field just before 3:00 and I thought that it was going to be a stellar sit. Far from it! I didn't see another deer until about 445 or so. A total of 6 does and fawns made their way out onto the winter wheat field. One more sit for the first half of late season. My plan is to do some scouting in between late seasons and see if I can find the hot food source. I need to do some homework because I am so far from being on the x.

IMG_20211220_144609076_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app