Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

31 minutes ago, dvdegeorge said:

Sonora desert for 6 day hunt fly out on the 12th come home on the 20th....Muy Grande size mule deer possibly coues deer as a bonus if I see a good one

Here is a picture of one they took last week 

md big.jpg

6.8 packed.jpg

What a beast! Spot and stalk?

1 hour ago, reeleyz said:

I use those in 2 spots that I have had theft issues before. Overall I like Browning cams the best and their boxes are well made with a perfect fit.

they seem tough enough. bolt cutters and the lock seem to be the weakest link in my new setup

Having had similar issues with trespassers we now put cell cams for both deer and people. Had a pic of a repeat offender riding through with his son early in the season. Texted him a pic of them on his quad. Got an immediate response and apology and had no more problems with him. 

Cell cams where they have to walk up to it from the front! Def helps a lot!

I've been out a decent amount but nothing to write home about. Seen a good number of does. Seen 2 bucks last two evenings one a 1.5yr old and tonight a messed up rack 2.5. Nothing big showing up on cameras. So hunting spots I don't have cameras to see if I can find something to get me excited!

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I mainly hunt public land, i have had sd cards taken and then replaced (wiped clean of course). I know this because i checked cameras on a Wednesday (no card), came back to put sd cards back in and there is an sd card in there!!!! When i see someone elses camera out i usually give them the NY Salute or just totally avoid it. Cameras are usually a good indication of where deer may be and should be left alone.

unless, when...

The forest rangers put cameras out every year for about 3 weeks leading up to gun season in the worst locations. They had one out one year on a cliff overlooking a ravine.

I'm very thankful for this late season as my daughter hasn't had many days to hunt archery or gun with her busy sports seasons. We put three hunts together, the 1st day she missed a nice 10 pt at 75 yards (he's going to be awesome next year) day 2, we watched many deer and 3 bucks stay out of range.  Tonight, the light and variable wind bite us. Many winded us and I didn't think it was going to happen. When I looked over and see the doe train coming. I said, tomorrow's weather doesn't look good if you want to shoot a big doe. She said, "no, I don't want a doe". Of course, I look at the last deer and it's a big bodied buck.. we get ready and had to stop him as they were on to us, she whacked him! What a way to end the year!! 

20211231_171753.jpg

Edited by steelie
  • Like 15

22 minutes ago, steelie said:

I'm very thankful for this late season as my daughter hasn't had many days to hunt archery or gun with her busy sports seasons. We put three hunts together, the 1st day she missed a nice 10 pt at 75 yards (he's going to be awesome next year) day 2, we watched many deer and 3 bucks stay out of range.  Tonight, the light and variable wind bite us. Many winded us and I didn't think it was going to happen. When I looked over and see the doe train coming. I said, tomorrow's weather doesn't look good if you want to shoot a big doe. She said, "no, I don't want a doe". Of course, I look at the last deer and it's a big bodied buck.. we get ready and had to stop him as they were on to us, she whacked him! What a way to end the year!! 

20211231_171753.jpg

Congrats to you both!  Very cool!

20211231_171753.thumb.jpg.432cb426bff7e71d039838c9fc4a6473.jpg
Awesome congrats!

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, steelie said:

20211231_171753.jpg

Way to go bud- congrats too you both

Was a beautiful day out there today 

Now that the sun has set on another deer season, I will give my season recap.  Bow season was great with lots of activity.  I got back into bow hunting with a compound last season.  This season I was able to shoot my first deer with a compound in `15+ years.  I took a good doe on a morning hunt in November.  Bow season came and went and my buck tag went unfilled.  Gun season came and my goal of this season was to get my son Brayden his first deer of his life.  Opening day greeted us with calm winds and cool.  Brayden and I went into the Shooting shack on a 14 acres field.  It started out slow with very few shots around and nothing moving for us.  At 8:50am, I looked out the South window and saw a buck and two doe coming out of the hedgerow.  We let them walk up the field and I had Brayden get ready.  I stopped the buck and told him to take the buck.  Buck fever got the best of him and he couldn't hold the crosshairs on the buck.  The buck started walking North again.  Brayden calmed down some.  I stopped the buck again and he still couldn't control buck fever and couldn't hold steady on the buck.  Again the buck started walking North again.  I told him I was going to try to stop him again but I wasn't sure he would stop this time.  Once again the buck stopped and Brayden said "I can't hold steady enough to make a good shot and I don't want to hit him bad and lose him.  I was proud if him for not making a bad shot!  The buck got nervous and trotted off.  The doe turned around and started to walk back to the hedge row.  Brayden said he was ready and took the shot at 117 yds with the .270.  The doe ran in a small circle in the field and dropped 10 yds from where he shot her.  You couldn't wipe the smile off his face the rest of the day!  During the rest of gun season, I passed small bucks and didn't see any shooters.  I ended up filling two doe tags during regular gun season.  One evening during muzzleloader season, Keith and I burned another memory into the 2021 deer season.  I ended up shooting an eight point at 127 yds with the muzzleloader dropping him in his tracks.  Minutes later Keith followed up with an eight point himself!  It was a very cool night to double on bucks.  Last Tuesday, I almost sealed the deal on a piebald doe.  I was sitting in the stand and had to take a dump....  when I went to climb back up in the stand, I looked behind the stand and saw something white 100+ yds away.  I stood there watching and saw a piebald doe in a group of doe.  A few minutes later, I noticed a mature doe in the group was also a piebald.  I made the decision that I was going to take the mature piebald doe.  The group filtered through the woods and she stopped in the lane that I thought was clear.  I squeezed the trigger and the gun went off.  I watched a vine fall 25-30 yds in front of her and she just stood there looking at me.  She trotted for 30yds and stopped looking back and then trotted into the brush.  I looked all over for hair and blood and nothing.  Thursday night, I had a group of doe coming through the same hardwoods.  Low and behold, the piebald doe was in the group.  Unfortunately, I was in the wrong stand and they got my wind before coming out of the brush and the game was over!  I was a great season with many memories made.  Hunting with great friends and family is what it is all about.  

566BB1B8-9379-4563-8831-6469F7410A47.jpeg

8C5A6669-9E44-45D6-B59E-A3DE78A32D54.jpeg

4BA6CC2F-BB1D-495F-A9AB-FC935A225794.jpeg

844C0F70-7C52-4477-94F8-FBCBAA7622F7.jpeg

DFFDF814-2A4A-4C99-A79C-8ADD3A405AE9.jpeg

ACF400A2-5F31-4EE9-9F64-F57643F9BF7D.jpeg

CFE3E679-C9B1-4CA9-A747-5BFAB266D66C.jpeg

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 5