Legacy -The 2021 Season-

Legacy

And it is almost that time again!!! The fishing season is almost done. One more weekend of chartering after this weekend and it will be time to put the boat to rest for a long winter nap. Hate to see that but I certainly always look forward into ushering the hunting season into it's place.

I encourage everyone to contribute to the thread and contribute as much as you can. Share pictures and ideas. Ask questions. Trade stories. This thread may have started as a "blog" of my own season but it has grown into something much bigger. This thread has been great way to keep the hunters on LOU informed and certainly entertained. The roller coaster of a ride that hunting gives us could never be explained. It is unlike anything else we do. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing but rarely does fishing provide us with that level of deficiency and success, sometimes within minutes of each other. As much as we don't like to fail, it is the failure that leads to our appreciation  of our success that much more. 

2020 seasonal recap... Last year turned out to be a stellar year. My kid took his biggest buck to date and that was honestly the highlight of my season. Early in November we had spent almost 3 hours hanging relocating this set. Cameras were putting deer in the area in the PM hours all year. 3 of which were worthy of being harvested. After last second stand change and deciding the wind was right for this set my kid got it done on opening weekend of gun. I manage to take a couple of respectable bucks. One during the archery season and one during the gun season. 

This year poses major challenges for me. Last season I lost the majority of my best ground. I have spent some time in search of new ground but it honestly has not produced much for me. I did pick up one piece in the past month. I have yet to walk the property and I'm already concerned about the pressure that may exist. I am certainly in a "rebuilding year" for sure.

I think I say this every year but I am way behind the 8 ball this season. This weekend is the first weekend since May that hasn't been tied up with fishing. The pandemic has made the construction business and the charter business exceptionally busy. I honestly haven't thought about hunting until last weekend. I need to get cameras hung asap so I am hoping to get that started this weekend. I have some ideas for stands but I think I am going to hold off until I get some eyes and time in the woods and reevaluate from there.

Good luck this year!

• Like 2

I hate to say it (and im sure most agree), this early doe only season is kinda bs. Im sure NYS feels there isnt enough deer being taken in these DMUs. I know I wont be out there with a gun supporting it. I might see the idea of grabbing the bow or cross bow though and taking an early doe for the freezer but I couldnt imagine blasting does with a gun. Its a fancy way of promoting nuisance hunting on your own property. I can only imagine the monsters you would see while you were doe hunting.

• Like 3

Ill be out in the afternoon today, I don’t love the early season but I’m using this opportunity to remove the oldest and wiset does from our insane numbers in Brockport. In out, bang done. Don’t go back in till mid October. I should get my younger brother on his first deer as well as a good buddy of mine. Old mature does gone before the bigs come around is a win for me. Granted I know that a lot of people in NY won’t have this same restraint. Thoughts and prayers for the spotted does today. All in all the lead in to this season has been a big win as my no till plots are thriving and my water hole has seen great use. Can’t wait till colder weather and cruising giants. 

2 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Ill be out in the afternoon today, I don’t love the early season but I’m using this opportunity to remove the oldest and wiset does from our insane numbers in Brockport. In out, bang done. Don’t go back in till mid October. I should get my younger brother on his first deer as well as a good buddy of mine. Old mature does gone before the bigs come around is a win for me. Granted I know that a lot of people in NY won’t have this same restraint. Thoughts and prayers for the spotted does today. All in all the lead in to this season has been a big win as my no till plots are thriving and my water hole has seen great use. Can’t wait till colder weather and cruising giants. 

Cant imagine the spots that get shot this week!!!

We just finished a morning of trimming lanes and changing straps. Could have shot fifty bazillion doe walking around. I can’t imagine wanting to deal with a deer in this heat, but I get the motivation to harvest the older doe. It could work against you though, too. I’ll stick to squirrel this year

1 hour ago, Gator said:

We just finished a morning of trimming lanes and changing straps. Could have shot fifty bazillion doe walking around. I can’t imagine wanting to deal with a deer in this heat, but I get the motivation to harvest the older doe. It could work against you though, too. I’ll stick to squirrel this year

How do you figure? Less attraction for bucks? I figure a bunch of dumb 1 year old does going into heat will do me better than mature wind cognizant does. 

15 minutes ago, woody 184 said:

I feel that this new doe season is due to car insurance companies losses forcing the state into this situation….

Im sure it is part of it. Im sure the doe take overall is down in these DMUs so the DEC is experimenting with options. 

On 9/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, idn713 said:

How do you figure? Less attraction for bucks? I figure a bunch of dumb 1 year old does going into heat will do me better than mature wind cognizant does. 

Yeah, pretty much - big boys will be looking for mature does. IMHO, there's pluses and minuses to taking out the matriarch. It can certainly changes the entire hierarchy of movement on the property, which may be good. Or not. Flip a coin I guess. 

I see you managed a good one. Congratulations!

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gator said:

Yeah, pretty much - big boys will be looking for mature does. IMHO, there's pluses and minuses to taking out the matriarch. It can certainly changes the entire hierarchy of movement on the property, which may be good. Or not. Flip a coin I guess. 

I see you managed a good one. Congratulations!

Yes, I def hear you! Trying to do what I can to minimize impact while taking a few annoying mammas out of the herd. Still trying to tweak my residents on the property to be a little less doe heavy, but I certainly see where you are coming from. 

Edited by idn713

Thanks again for this thread! Cant wait. 

haven't seen or heard a lot of action on the near by state land. 

hope the public knows slugs are flying one week in September as they walk their dog in 80* weather. 

also allows poachers tons of extra opportunities. Looks normal to be out.  have a slug gun. Kill deer. O Thought it was a doe. And shoot early and later. Ny velvet bucks watch out.