Coho flies, Who uses them?

I have seen on some of the vendor sponsored sites or links sections for coho flies for sale. They seem to be smaller versions of what most of us use, regular sized trolling flies from Atomik, Horse, Big Weenie and G-Fly to name a few. I boated one coho last year on a full sized fly, maybe if I downsized I could land more cohos instead of just kings (not that Kings are a bad thing). Has anyone used these with regular success by downsizing to this smaller sized fly? Just curious.

I don't believe I have even seen them for sale at my favorite tyackle shops around Pulaski and Mexico, but not sure if I ever really notice a "Coho" specific named fly. I may have to give them a try if I come across one. The next question would bet if you ran your favorite spoon in the same conditons would you have had the same success?

It doesn't take much for me to buy a new lures or try something new or gimmicky. Just curious if it's not the Marketing team creating a "need" for something that really is not needed because the regular size flies will also do the job as well. I'll pick up some and give it a shot. Thanks for your feedback guys.

I purchased a box full of them at Gander Mountain out of the bargin bin. Had never tried them before and purchased them because they were cheap. First trip out, 2 steelies and one coho.

They definitely have their days! Not a gimmick. It depends on your area though. We get to fish for them in the top 20' of water. So on short cores this is a great lure. On the East side where the coho blend in with the Salmon or hang out at 50' with the steelies a spoon might do just as well. This is also a steelie bait like Gamble said.

I use the regular size flies and have no problem putting the coho's or bows in the boat. My best set up is wire dipsey 30'-80' out set on a #3. Flasher/fly or spoons (c-5 five of diamonds or 28's trolled fast).

We run the smaller flies off in-line planer boards with action flashers (see below) and the smaller 5" Spin Dr's. Since we're running longer leads off the boards, almost always we add a keel sinker about 6 feet from the dodger or else they plane like a water ski on the surface. I agree with Yankee, they definitely have their days and are not a gimmick, but I wouldn't say they're the greatest thing since sliced bread...

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store ... lasher.htm

- Chris

Disclaimer - I have no ties to Lake Michigan Angler or Dreamweaver