Hydraulic Steering Question

njg0621

I just bought a brand new 2021 Alumacraft 205 w/ Suzuki df 200. The boat has hydraulic steering but seems super hard to turn back and forth once I increase RPM. I took the boat for a test drive before I took it home and the dealer assured me it was operating normal and the steering is supposed to be stiff. There is no play in the steering and when I turn the motor back and forth on the off the water it turns smoothly with no slack at all. Basically if this is honestly how it is supposed to be then I am fine with it but if there is something wrong and they just sent me on my way then I want to know. I had to take their word because I have no way of knowing any better.   Does anyone have experience with this motor and Hydraulic steering? Is it always REALLY stiff on a 200?

I want to check the Hydraulic oil level at the helm but there is no fill at the steering wheel.  I found a plug above the steering wheel on the dash that I assume is it but I can't find ANYTHING about it in any of my manuals.  Can anyone confirm this is the fill? Thanks!

PXL_20210914_221924595.jpg

PXL_20210914_221423236.jpg

PXL_20210914_221436677.jpg

PXL_20210914_221935300.jpg

When I took my boat for a test drive and the first time I had hydraulic steering I also thought it was pretty stiff. Eventually it just becomes normal after you get used to it. As long as its "smooth" but tight I think your ok. You dont wsnt to feel any fighting or jumping against it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you adjusting your trim position at higher rpm?  You should have a different feel to steering when motor is”trimmed” correctly.  If your steering is smooth, I wouldn’t be concerned with fluid level.  Sea Star takes a specific fluid so I’d suggest you leave that alone.  IMO run the boat and adjust trim- get used to the feel of the new boat.  

Yes, I am adjusting the trim correctly.  The thing is it goes smoothly back and forth but it literally takes two hands to turn....I just can't imagine this is right.  I went home last night and out of the water it goes right to left smoothly but once you have it under any rpm it is super hard to turn.  I also ordered the Sea Star Hydraulic fluid to make sure I used the right stuff.  The one thing I do notice is when I turn the wheel all the way to the right the steering wheel squeaks a little too.  Once again this doesn't happen at all out of the water under no load it is perfectly quiet and smooth.

Can anyone confirm that is the fill that would typically be for the steering hydraulics on the wheel?

I have the same steering on my boat and that is the fill tube. I included a picture of mine with the cap removed. I think what you are describing is normal steering. It will be easy out of the water but is definitely heavier while under load and is normal due to the prop and water resistance.0915211002.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have recently had a similar problem with my Seastar hydraulic system when not trolling and underway at speed. I will  be interested in any info folks might shed on the problem. I do think the little fin on the underside of the motor lower unit may to be adjusted or re-positioned sometimes so that MAY have something to do with it but I'm nor sure.

29 minutes ago, Fishmaster 196 said:

I have the same steering on my boat and that is the fill tube. I included a picture of mine with the cap removed. I think what you are describing is normal steering. It will be easy out of the water but is definitely heavier while under load and is normal due to the prop and water resistance.0915211002.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you ! So I am at least going to attach the tube and make sure the level isn't low at all.  It's weird they put it on the side of the dash on mine so the fill doesn't go directly down in the hole...doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Did you try looking on u tube emoji476.png

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes and EVERY video shows the same fill spot which is on top of the steering wheel.  Mine doesn't have one there it looks to be on the side of the dash as pictured.  That's why I want to confirm

With air in the system I think you would skips/jerks in steering.  I guess I’d be talking with dealer and seeing if any setup adjustments. I’d be asking if factory install of motor or dealer install.  Shouldn’t take two hands to steer.  Beyond checking fluid level and looking for an obvious problem, I’d be letting dealer sort it out.

I don't know how your system works, as I have inboards, but I don't think you have air in system.  Also, if you take cap off you should see fluid.  I would be carefull adding fluid, that could add air to system, and then it will need to be purged.  The way my system works, is there are plungers all around beneath and inside the helm where the steering is. As you turn the wheel, it pushes on those plungers, and squits fluid to the ram, which in turn moves the ram.  When all is right, it should feel firm, but definetly not what you are feeling.  As far as I can tell from my system there is no actual pump, it is all done by those plungers behind the whee.  I think mine does have a pump on auto pilot though.  Being this is a new boat, I would insist on a sea trial, not done by the salesman, nut by a certified marine tech!! You may run into warranty issues if you try fixing thing yourself.

After thinking a bit, I suspect that with the torque of the engine is restricting the movement of the ram, My is in bilge, but yours should be in the open, just in front of motor.  Round with hydro hoses on each end, shiny rods comming out each end, that move when the wheel is turned!! If that is the case, I suspect the transom is somehow moving!

3 hours ago, mr 580 said:

With air in the system I think you would skips/jerks in steering.  I guess I’d be talking with dealer and seeing if any setup adjustments. I’d be asking if factory install of motor or dealer install.  Shouldn’t take two hands to steer.  Beyond checking fluid level and looking for an obvious problem, I’d be letting dealer sort it out.

It was a dealer install of the motor.  The issue is they tell me all is working as it should....I honestly don't know if it's true or not.  If the boat steered in the water like it does out I would say everything was perfect.

If I didn’t think the steering was right on a brand new boat, I’d be talking with the dealer’s service manager about the issue.  Maybe something was overtightened.  I have Sea Star steering in my boat and it steers one handed no problem.  Let them know your concerns.

18 hours ago, mr 580 said:

If I didn’t think the steering was right on a brand new boat, I’d be talking with the dealer’s service manager about the issue.  Maybe something was overtightened.  I have Sea Star steering in my boat and it steers one handed no problem.  Let them know your concerns.

Me too. Its should easily steer one handed. Maybe take the dealer tech for a sea trial>>>something is definitely goofy.

Mine was steering a bit tough earlier this summer and I got down into my open gunnel where the tube is and noticed a I had a bunch of gear laying on top of it and pinching it down a bit.  After clearing it off and hanging it properly steering was normal.  Possible it could be pinched with a zip tie or something but seems you’d feel that even when not in the water.