for sale : usa Copper reels/set ups

This can be an expensive sport. If you are new id recommend getting riggers and wire divers first. Coppers are great and Id not leave the dock without mine but it's a limited use type of rig. Riggers and divers can be used to target any depth and are easier to learn. Copper can be great but one wrong move and the whole rig will be out of the game. You really want big high speed reels. My 500 copper setup cost me more than my first downrigger. You could get away with shorter coppers and snap weights and be more versatile. Eventually you will get long coppers but there the last thing I would add. If you get a good deal they would be worth it.

• Like 1

Thank you, right now I run 2 riggers, 2 divers, and I have a 300 copper and 300 lead. I was out this past week and the fish were 120 Fow and deeper. Made my copper and lead useless. But I was talking to my buddy and he said that buying a long copper this year might be pointless because they’ll start getting shallower. But I was thinking about the snap weight thing. I have a box of 2 oz snaps. I almost added like 4 or 5 to the copper to get it to sink more but I didn’t pull the trigger on it. 

I run 2-8 oz snap weights and it's a guessing game as to how deep it will run without a fishhawk but if you got line counters or count passes on the reel you could repeat it if you do connect. If you got a '500 copper and marked off '100 sections you could run that down the shoot you can deploy any length really. High speed reel to clear it for fish on the other lines helps. Over the winter there will be plenty of deals on stuff. Pick away here and there and you'll have a decent start. But snap weights are your fastest cheapest way back in the game. 

Do you put your snaps before or after the copper? I was thinking about putting mine before the copper. It’ll be a guessing game, but I’m sure it’ll be better than running 60foot down when the fish are 90
You should have been able to get your riggers 90 down and deeper? What model downrigger are you using? Can they handle at least 12lb weights?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 9/18/2021 at 5:50 AM, Wth said:

This can be an expensive sport. If you are new id recommend getting riggers and wire divers first. Coppers are great and Id not leave the dock without mine but it's a limited use type of rig. Riggers and divers can be used to target any depth and are easier to learn. Copper can be great but one wrong move and the whole rig will be out of the game. You really want big high speed reels. My 500 copper setup cost me more than my first downrigger. You could get away with shorter coppers and snap weights and be more versatile. Eventually you will get long coppers but there the last thing I would add. If you get a good deal they would be worth it.

Good advice :yes:

I can get my riggers down there no problem. I have 10lb weights so they have some blowback. I’ve been borrowing some of my buddies dipsy divers, and TX44s which I’ve been running my copper and lead off, caught fish on the riggers and the dipsys, nothing on the 300 copper yet because the fish were hanging down 110 FOW when I was there. Ran the coppers all day. Just want to get deeper on the coppers. I think the snap weights will do me fine for this year though 

I put the snap weights on the leader just behind the copper. Just got to try to guess how much weight and change it out unless you get a fishhawk td you will never know how deep there running. But a snap weight on the end of a 300 pulled by a tx44 will have lots of vertical movement. They really sink and rise quite a bit on turns. I don't spend enought time out there to get a precise depth on it all but if I think I need deeper it's easy to just add a snap weight. If it fires it's easy to repeat it.