Sandy small boat`n

Well it has been a Murphy's law year for me . After the last few years of I could do no wrong , this year I could do no right . My slice of humble pie I guess . 

Went out first light . Started close and worked out to 40 ft . Went 1 for 2 . Nice male king . Both hits on slide diver with my Gary D rig which kind of let me down this year . 100 ft lead .  Did not see a whole lot out there . Nothing on my normal J plug set up . 

Was,a little sporty for me . 

6 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

I like those slide divers. Started using them walleye fishing this year with spoons.

I've been curious about them. Are they an improvement over the fixed? When the fish are tight to bottom at 100+ they're pretty much useless to me but I run them at 225 to 250 just to keep 4 rods going. 

I took my dad, cousin and cousin’s son out this morning out of the Genny.  My cousin lasted an hour before we needed to go in. His son was fine. Dropped them off at launch and dad and I headed back out. Marked a lot in 60-70 but no takers. Good luck out there.

Rick 

Went back out at 530 . 

Drove out to 40 ft and headed north . Was a little sporty out there but laying down . Was best pic I have seen in a long while from 45 to 60 ft on bottom .Lots of big hooks .  Managed 1 very nice female and lost another on  a #4 glow green fluorescent J plug .

Back at it in the morning if it's not to rough . 

I love my slide divers . They work great and have saved the day for Me numerous times . I don't  use them enough . Less than 6o ft is where they  shine .  

14 hours ago, HB2 said:

Went back out at 530 . 

Drove out to 40 ft and headed north . Was a little sporty out there but laying down . Was best pic I have seen in a long while from 45 to 60 ft on bottom .Lots of big hooks .  Managed 1 very nice female and lost another on  a #4 glow green fluorescent J plug .

Back at it in the morning if it's not to rough . 

I love my slide divers . They work great and have saved the day for Me numerous times . I don't  use them enough . Less than 6o ft is where they  shine .  

Good deal. I might have to get a couple of those sliders. Is the math the same as the fixed? 

On 9/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, Low Baller said:

I've been curious about them. Are they an improvement over the fixed? When the fish are tight to bottom at 100+ they're pretty much useless to me but I run them at 225 to 250 just to keep 4 rods going. 

the  big improvement is you can choose the length of your leader. i use the lite bite version and use it like a dipsy with a fixed 7'leader.

if you want to get deeper than about 65' you need to get the 7 oz conversion. it has a 7 oz weight and use a large ring and get deeper than the regular weight. i don't know if they have a dive curve for it so you may need to make your own.

go to 50' of water with your diver set on whatever you use and at your normal trolling speed. now let out line slowly until you start bumping bottom. whatever you get divide it by 10. like say it takes 120' divided by 10 would give you 12. then divide 50' of water by the 12 it would give you 4.16 which i would round off to 4.2. that would be your dive curve for every 10' of line you let out you would dive 4.2' you would need to let out 238' to get close to 100' deep. of course you will not get 120' ft but use what you get and divide by 10' then take that number and dived 50' and that will be your dive curve for every 10' of line you let out. and it will get you very close. it will get you much deeper than a standard slide diver or a dipsy.

7 minutes ago, sherman brown said:

the  big improvement is you can choose the length of your leader. i use the lite bite version and use it like a dipsy with a fixed 7'leader.

if you want to get deeper than about 65' you need to get the 7 oz conversion. it has a 7 oz weight and use a large ring and get deeper than the regular weight. i don't know if they have a dive curve for it so you may need to make your own.

go to 50' of water with your diver set on whatever you use and at your normal trolling speed. now let out line slowly until you start bumping bottom. whatever you get divide it by 10. like say it takes 120' divided by 10 would give you 12. then divide 50' of water by the 12 it would give you 4.16 which i would round off to 4.2. that would be your dive curve for every 10' of line you let out you would dive 4.2' you would need to let out 238' to get close to 100' deep. of course you will not get 120' ft but use what you get and divide by 10' then take that number and dived 50' and that will be your dive curve for every 10' of line you let out. and it will get you very close. it will get you much deeper than a standard slide diver or a dipsy.

Great info. Guess I'll have to graduate to wire instead of 50lb braid. Lol

Why would you use a slide diver fixed with a 7 ft leader ? Just use a regular dipsy for that application. 

What makes the slide diver attractive to me is the longer leader option . 

I feel if I have 100 ft out , I'm down 40 ft . 

The afternoon bites were off a rigger . 

I have a ultimate depth adaptor . It's real heavy , but works . 

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

Why would you use a slide diver fixed with a 7 ft leader ? Just use a regular dipsy for that application. 

What makes the slide diver attractive to me is the longer leader option . 

I feel if I have 100 ft out , I'm down 40 ft . 

The afternoon bites were off a rigger . 

I have a ultimate depth adaptor . It's real heavy , but works . 

i don't use the lite bite slide diver for a longer leader but for the lite bite feature. i've used longer leads for walleye on erie but do just as good with 6' and over. some guys go as short as 5' with a dipsy and still catch fish. the lite bite has a lure tension that when set right even white perch will trip the diver keeping me from dragging a small fish around for long periods that's just long times that lure wont be catching fish.

2 hours ago, sherman brown said:

i don't use the lite bite slide diver for a longer leader but for the lite bite feature. i've used longer leads for walleye on erie but do just as good with 6' and over. some guys go as short as 5' with a dipsy and still catch fish. the lite bite has a lure tension that when set right even white perch will trip the diver keeping me from dragging a small fish around for long periods that's just long times that lure wont be catching fish.

That's what got my attention. Good set up for lighter tackle on Cayuga. Hate drowning small fish. Inshore kings doesn't mater much. They just grab and go.