info Moving to the Oak

Reel Chaos

5 hours ago, Reel Chaos said:

Leaving Fair Haven and relocating to Oak Orchard area for 2022.  Usually just a weekend warrior but looking to network with others from the area to help each other out.  

Probably a good move. I've been thinking about it myself. Would prefer Olcott or Wilson. Not sure I want to make that drive every weekend though. Why are you thinking of going down there? Not satisfied with the fishing on the east end?

14 hours ago, MikeyP said:

Probably a good move. I've been thinking about it myself. Would prefer Olcott or Wilson. Not sure I want to make that drive every weekend though. Why are you thinking of going down there? Not satisfied with the fishing on the east end?

I’ve been in Fair Haven my whole life at Shady Shores Campground started going with my grandparents and it’s where I learned to fish.  As I got older I got my own camp.  This year the owner sold the campground to a corporation and they doubled the cost and basically gave a months notice to decide.  They also changed rules and such.  So I took that as a sign to move on and found a new campground near the oak.  

1 hour ago, Reel Chaos said:

I’ve been in Fair Haven my whole life at Shady Shores Campground started going with my grandparents and it’s where I learned to fish.  As I got older I got my own camp.  This year the owner sold the campground to a corporation and they doubled the cost and basically gave a months notice to decide.  They also changed rules and such.  So I took that as a sign to move on and found a new campground near the oak.  

A Coworker of mine bought a camper in there a year ago... Terrible what they did to all of you.  I dont see the market they expect... And the marina cost for a slip now... GOOD FREAKING LUCK!!! Outrageous.

2 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

A Coworker of mine bought a camper in there a year ago... Terrible what they did to all of you.  I dont see the market they expect... And the marina cost for a slip now... GOOD FREAKING LUCK!!! Outrageous.

Is your coworker in shady shores or fair point? 

For about ten years , we would camp at Shady shores , father's day weekend , opening bass . 

We would stay on the hill lake side across from the dumpsters on the hill . 

We loved it . It was perfect 

Then they sold and new owners would not allow tent camping . Way better than the state campground . 

We fished Blind Sodus . 

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

For about ten years , we would camp at Shady shores , father's day weekend , opening bass . 

We would stay on the hill lake side across from the dumpsters on the hill . 

We loved it . It was perfect 

Then they sold and new owners would not allow tent camping . Way better than the state campground . 

We fished Blind Sodus . 

Yup so the owner that ended tent sites resold this year to the corporation.  I’ve got many largemouth, pike, and walleye in blind sodus before the high waters washed it out.  Still good bass and pike, just no luck on walleye since

Kept my boat at my brothers at Johnson's creek for  a few years . Spent a lot of hrs from Lake side to about a mile west of green harbor 70 to 180 ft of water , sometimes out to 220 . Got a awful lot  kings and Lakers there in the spring and kings from Mid July on . Unless they changed things , might be hard to get in and out of Green  Harbor in rough weather or low water . 

15 hours ago, HB2 said:

Kept my boat at my brothers at Johnson's creek for  a few years . Spent a lot of hrs from Lake side to about a mile west of green harbor 70 to 180 ft of water , sometimes out to 220 . Got a awful lot  kings and Lakers there in the spring and kings from Mid July on . Unless they changed things , might be hard to get in and out of Green  Harbor in rough weather or low water . 

The owner dredges it regularly and I only have a 21’ boat so rough days are out and if not workable will go to another marina if need be

The Oak is a straight up fishing port. You'll enjoy it, and the more consistent fishing. I try to post reports after every weekend on here, and immediately to our Facebook page after every trip. Bob Songin also keeps you up to date on where he's fishing and what he's using.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

The Oak is a straight up fishing port. You'll enjoy it, and the more consistent fishing. I try to post reports after every weekend on here, and immediately to our Facebook page after every trip. Bob Songin also keeps you up to date on where he's fishing and what he's using.

I am looking forward to it and I already read all your reports!

• Like 1