Lure builders...I have a question

McWally

I'm not a lawyer but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't name your jigs or business something like Mustad Jigs. The brand name is registered but the product itself can be used as a component in other products when you legitimately buy the hooks retail at least not sure about wholesale.

I'm in the lure business also so I think I can understand your concerns.
Good luck on this venture but don't worry about repercussions advertising your lure components, I've never seen a company come after a builder . I rarely mention VMC, Wolverine etc even though I use them and doubt you'll have any issues.
Hope you enjoy your hobby bc most days you'll love it yet other days will make you wonder what the heck you were thinking starting this. Absolutely best wishes and hope it turns out well for you.
20210404_091223.jpg

#1 lure of 4 Musky Inc National Champions in last 3 years.

• Like 2

Check with company.  If you do not mention the component companies name, you may end up with a lawsuit against you.  Yakima requires me to put Made with  Wardens Original Spin N glo and the trademark emblem on all my packaging.  If not, I could face a lawsuit.  Some of my competitors only have Yakima on their packaging and according to Yakima, that is not correct and could be pursued.  Do I think the would pursue a little guy?  Probably not.  Good luck with your venture.  The tackle industry is a tough one to make enough money in to survive.  If you make a quality product, have great customer service and have tackle in stock al the time, you will do just fine!  

I can see in gamblers instance using the components name bc its a finished product/lure/attractor that is added to his rig.
Your situation maybe a lil different but to be sure and for your added piece of mind, maybe reach out to Mustad for an answer.
Most of all, have fun with your work and enjoy yourself! It's always cool imo to get bit with your own creations and I wish you many bites in the future!
FB_IMG_1632687538885.jpg

#1 lure of 4 Musky Inc National Champions in last 3 years.

• 3 months later...

So, all the way from melting lead to powder coating to tying to all the weird little hangups in between I think I can make these at about .35 cents an hour. That’s about 14$ a week at 40 hours and thats a 728$ salary. Not bad if you live in Nigeria. There’s a lot of little tricks to this crap and I bet if I worked at this for a year I could get good, but man, this is tedious. A lot of messing around in catalogs and stuff. Fun little hobby I guess. F19FFB28-E845-4BAA-B1A6-1C734F5CBD7B.thumb.jpeg.eee5c6d518f3a24c952d6dd9790a0537.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Your best bet is to design what you want and then have them made in Shenzen by one of the myriad for-contract lure manufacturers there. You'll need to work with an importer to clear the paperwork but trust me, you'll make a lot more margin by having the work done in a low-cost region.  With small items like this economy of scale is everything. 

You worked up a parts and labor cost but you left out the costs of packaging, distribution and advertising. The actual lure cost can be insignificant compared to the time and treasure you'll spend on the business side of things. Anytime you get involved in an endeavor that includes molten lead you're going to have a lot of (expensive!) OSHA requirements to meet. 

My advice: start small and then if the demand is there, offshore production. 

Don't forget people like Worth will sell you stuff wholesale you can simply repackage/rebrand too, as will the offshore suppliers. 

29 minutes ago, Chuck Smth said:

Your best bet is to design what you want and then have them made in Shenzen by one of the myriad for-contract lure manufacturers there. You'll need to work with an importer to clear the paperwork but trust me, you'll make a lot more margin by having the work done in a low-cost region.  With small items like this economy of scale is everything. 

You worked up a parts and labor cost but you left out the costs of packaging, distribution and advertising. The actual lure cost can be insignificant compared to the time and treasure you'll spend on the business side of things. Anytime you get involved in an endeavor that includes molten lead you're going to have a lot of (expensive!) OSHA requirements to meet. 

My advice: start small and then if the demand is there, offshore production. 

Don't forget people like Worth will sell you stuff wholesale you can simply repackage/rebrand too, as will the offshore suppliers. 

Great insights, thank you. You’re obviously spot on. My friend owns a bait shop and had a gentleman who tied all his own and had a large space for jigs and the family did not want to carry-on his legacy. I thought well  geez, why not try with a ready-made customer demand. He did everything in-house, but in a far simpler jig. My stupid ass was like I’ll just try to outdo Spro, rather than emulate his methods. There is one product other than these bucktails which is more for the locals that I have in mind for the millions of bass pros/college amateurs/wannabees that spend whatever and could have way higher margins. Truthfully, in this day n age with complete uncertainty in supply chain logistics/inflationary pressure I’m very worried about going both feet in and going your route, but no balls no glory too. Thank you for new insights.