adding weight

outback kennels 2

OK2,

I am in the process of rebuilding a 221V Islander, and part of the rework is to move about 200#’s forward. I am doing it through battery and anchor chain. I would suggest that if you were interested in knowing how your particular boat would handle, perhaps a little test with some ballast might help you decide whether or not you would benefit from a more permanent change. I also intend on adding trim tabs to help balance the ride. 

Baddad

I had an Islander for years. I put sandbags as far up in the nose of the cuddy as possible to help weight distribution and getting on plane with all the tackle + kicker I had on the boat. Using a bit of trial and error I established how much extra weight to add to starboard side of the nose to compensate for the kicker on the transom port side. 

my boat is a sea nymph gls i took the live wells out and made it all storage i had added weight however it seem to pound harder when under power perhaps i had added to much i will try a smaller amount i don't have a problem getting on plan or under power except it pounds the **** out you maybe i had to much
thanks for tour advice

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

41 minutes ago, outback kennels 2 said:

my boat is a sea nymph gls i took the live wells out and made it all storage i had added weight however it seem to pound harder when under power perhaps i had added to much i will try a smaller amount i don't have a problem getting on plan or under power except it pounds the **** out you maybe i had to much
thanks for tour advice

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I’ve never been a big one for running as fast as I can I guess. Not sure I ever experienced a pounding issue with my Islander in all the 13 years I fished with her. That being said, I have 2 Crestliners now , a 21.5 Sabre / 200hp Optimax and a 25’ hardtop/ 440 io and both of those boats will really ‘**** and git’ but I just won’t run them hard in rougher water. My customers and my 63 year old spinal column don’t like it and neither one has any weight forward . Also I just noticed you said you put the weight where the live wells were and I’m thinking that’s like amidst ship, right? Not sure your gonna cure nose up issues with weight there but I could be all wet

Edited by chowder