Can a iPad clone the display from a Lowrance HDS gen 3 display?

chowder

I’m not savvy with this Bluetooth technology or iPads but I was finally watching my Lance Valentine Vimeo tutorial on the HDS gen 3 and he mentions controlling the HDS unit with an iPad so I am figuring you must be able to see the screen to do that. I’d like to have an iPad in the back of the boat to see my screen when I have customers on board and I am busy helping them in the back of the boat. Any help on this much appreciated . ( I have an HDS 12 for sonar and a HDS 9 for gps/radar mounted in the wheelhouse)

I don't know how an iPad would work, especially in the direct sun and rain but I have an old HDS gen1 hooked up to my Gen3's via an ethernet cable.

I can see the screen from the Gen 3 and drop waypoints from the back of the boat using the Gen1.  

Not looking to add another $creen to the boat. iPads are wireless ,can be fitted with simple glare hoods and waterproof covers, they are used in many industrial automation settings because of low cost (good,used ones around $50-60)

Just in case anybody is interested in this topic (hint: you probably should be- wait n see): 1.) YES, it's very simple to link a HDS gen 3 to a iPad, Lowrance purposesfully made it that way. 2.) YES, you can use the iPad to see AND DO evrything you would do as if you were at the helm or wherever the head unit is mounted. 3.) VERY SIGNIFICANTLY, at least for me as charter capt without a mate, you can use the Lowrance autopilot commands from the back of the boat which is awesome!!!) 4.) numerous people have reported that by turning brightness all the way and leaving the iPad plugged in and using a polarized screen cover and waterproof cover (an investment of about $30) there are no significant issues with visibility or potential damage to the ipad screen. 

So, I think I'm gonna give this a try before I put the salmon boat away. probably gonna learn the hardway that a cheap $60 used iPad isnt the best econo option but what the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

• 3 weeks later...

Chowder,

Just a heads up that the HDS 2 units would not allow a wifi connected device to do autopilot functions.   

I was told by Lowrance it would do "everything" , but it wouldn't do autopilot. They failed to mention that when I inquired.   Just want to make sure you aren't disappointed as i was. 

I sure appreciate these insights! I still might go the ipad route for the sonar display but I do have a 2nd smaller display mounted in the wheelhouse that I use for gps/radar that could be linked to my big display and re mounted in the stern. That boat is now winterized but with this critical piece of the puzzle fleshed out by you guys I will be able to strategize this winter much much more accurately. THANKS!!

• 2 years later...

I saw your post from a couple of years ago, and it's great that you were looking into improving your boating setup back then. While I don't have the exact information on whether you can mirror the display from your Lowrance HDS gen 3 unit to an iPad from that time, technology does advance rapidly.
Also, if you're ever in need of upgrading your tech or could use some extra funds for your boating adventures, you might want to sell your iPhone 13. I hope you've been able to find a solution for your boating setup, and if you have any more questions, feel free to reach out. Happy boating!

Edited by CassidyCummings

On 9/24/2021 at 8:18 AM, chowder said:

I’m not savvy with this Bluetooth technology or iPads but I was finally watching my Lance Valentine Vimeo tutorial on the HDS gen 3 and he mentions controlling the HDS unit with an iPad so I am figuring you must be able to see the screen to do that. I’d like to have an iPad in the back of the boat to see my screen when I have customers on board and I am busy helping them in the back of the boat. Any help on this much appreciated . ( I have an HDS 12 for sonar and a HDS 9 for gps/radar mounted in the wheelhouse)

Yes you can mirror the Lowrance on your ipad and even control your Lowrance except for the autopilot. To do this you need to link the Ipad to the lowrance wifi hotspot and mirror through the Lowrance app.

So- the solution I eventually developed to clone screens ended up being a bigger deal than I had originally anticipated. After giving serious thought to what I really wanted to a accomplish I did the following: 1.) designed a movable rear station module to hold a Garmin PanOptix display  a Lowrance HDS unit. and a iTroll digital throttle controller for main and kicker 2.) Networked the Lowrance HDS unit to the 2 HDS units in the wheelhouse (sonar/ gps and dedicated radar) with both Ethernet and Lowrance hard connection wires. I built 2 of these units- 1 for my Hardtop Crestliner and 1 for my outboard Crestliner ( both boats are setup for mounting the PanOptix transducer, so the transducer can be switched back and forth. ) For several years now my part time chartering trips have been so much easier with no trips to the wheel house to make autopilot, throttle, or sonar/ gps adjustments. Now I’m able to spend more time with my clients in the back of the boat exclusively where I wed to be

7C3B315E-24A8-4266-B14D-0E98E2ABB09F.jpeg

B7A92E76-8EE0-4BFD-A584-1B3EFC60B7E4.jpeg

B92563D1-AEF6-4A69-91A1-CE3A5D8A9E47.jpeg

EE5DBFFA-886A-421E-BA96-A494DDFFF90D.jpeg

4363C864-FCEF-4F27-951A-B760D98D022A.jpeg

CF30D664-34B6-4A6B-B880-4256A39DC8DE.jpeg

The issue of mounting the displays while maintaining a very rugged movable module was solved using 2 track sections and pedestal track unit that enables the 2 sections to slide in and out and also fore and aft from another pedestal track unit in the track mounted on the gunnel of the vessels.