Tiller Model Boats with Downriggers?

Jeff Mick

Good Morning!

So I am thinking about buying a tiller model aluminum boat in the 18 foot range.  This will be a multipurpose boat.  Used for fishing on Lake O some, other rivers and lakes closer to home and maybe even some striper fishing in the ocean when condition are right. 

I love the idea of all the open space with a tiller.  My dad has an aluminum walk through so I realize the importance of that windshield for getting out of the wind.  I am thinking that I am willing to make that sacrifice though since I will also be casting out of this boat for bass, pike and other species.  This will not be just a trolling boat and I will probably mount a trolling motor to the bow.     

Looking for any opinions on mounting a couple of riggers to a tiller model boat.  Is this going to be a pain in the butt with having the seat back by the motor and not necessarily having a ton of room to get at the riggers / rod holders?   Kind of wondering if a side counsel may be a nice compromise between the tiller and a walk through. 

Any suggestions / thoughts would be appreciated.  Hope that the fishing gods have been good to you all!

Thanks!   

Edited by Jeff Mick

how many people would you typically be trolling with?  what style tiller?  bench seats or more open.  down riggers and rod holders can go really anywhere along the leangth of the boat.  if your driving from the back there is no reason they cant be forward of you as long as you can access them easily and see them when trolling.   there are boats out there that are very open for multi-species that are a side counsel or dual counsel depending on your budget.  

I have a 18ft Alaskan set up with tournament series big Jon’s with quick detach bases. I also have a base mount for a cannon unitrol that I can quick mount in the tracks on the gunwales on the starboard side near the transom . I run that one straight out the back. Just in case I feel the need to run 3 riggers. I fish Champlain mostly and they only allow 2 rods per person.

F4DD3DCE-7E3C-44D5-833A-7122B66D7D5D.jpeg

65D6B754-C452-4706-B250-78F88C1D9E35.jpeg

Edited by nysrx01

There is no way the rigger cables can even come  close to the outboard. I have the same set up on a small John boat with 2 electric Scotty’s mounted forward and a cannon electric of the transom.that boat is a 1648. I have never had a problem. This is just for my small lakes. I have 2 HDS 12 gen 3 ‘s in use on this boat also.

DE5AB85E-4455-4193-87E8-93F2AD6027FC.jpeg

F1300F58-E043-41C7-9394-65E4C0D8E8E3.jpeg

9BB01402-8CB4-4166-87D3-CED951F57C18.jpeg

Edited by nysrx01

If possible get a bow mount Ipilot motor. The I track functions are awesome. I just basically do all my steering and speed control through the ipilot. I Just put  tiller in gear and throttle if need be I usually just let it idle in gear. Then lock it straight and do everything else through the bow mount. Set cruise control and auto pilot on the bow mount. Record a track then back track if you want. 

• Like 1

It is critical to place the riggers so you can get at them to set or adjust easily and safely . Especially in a smaller boat . 

I would definitely mount them so they are in front of the drivers seat so driver or passenger can rig . 

X2 on mounting riggers in front of driver position so both driver and passenger can access.  Using tracks and manual riggers is good for a multi species tiller setup.  If you are big water trolling most of the time then a bow rider with wheel is better than a tiller.  Tillers excel for boat control and rod in hand fishing.

90% of the time I fish alone so I want everything in my view. I had a 22 ft CDory. It was a pain always trying to see out the back of to see if the riggers had fired off or not. With the tilller you can’t get out of the weather. But I sit on frozen lakes all winter jigging with out a shelter either. Just got to dress right. LOL 

i was going to say you can mount them as far forward as needed to watch for them to fire without having to keep turning your head around to see what's going on behind you. i guess riggers are mounted in the rear of the boat to allow for other gear. but fishing with only 2 riggers the only draw back i see is in turns one line might be under the boat causing a problem if you got a hit on that rod.

I have mine mounted on the rails which allows to change your mind where they go. Having adjustable booms and swivel bases also gives you versatility for setting them and running them. It’s not a tiller, side console 21 Alaskan. If you do go with an Alaskan make sure the rails are the wider version. 

Here is a shot of my rig.  17' Mirrocraft with almost an 8' beam.  Nice thing with this is the gunnels are super stout and handle tracks/riggers no problem.  Other neat thing Mirrocraft does is spray the inside of the hull with a bedliner type material.  Makes for a really quiet ride.  Had this rig for 11 years and love it.  We trailer and fish where the wind allows and pick our days on Lake Ontario.  

20190928_112827.jpg