Any concerns Humminbird ethernet? My Due Dilligence

laker1

Hi, I am looking at buying two serious Humminbirds (control head and full system) and connecting them by ethernet cable. I know that I will have to include a dedicated battery in the setup. Has anyone used the ethernet cable setup before? Have there been any concerns about electrical interference? Does the system work as advertised with instantaneous readout for both units?  Thank you I would appreciate all and any input.

jim

I run 3 Humminbird SOLIX + Humminbird Radar on the Trojan, and 3 Humminbird HELIX + Minn Kota Terrova on my Lund. Each bot is fully networked with Ethernet cables and Ethernet boxes (used when there are more than 2 Ethernet unit to connect). If you run clean power from the battery for your electronics (don't share power with other electronic items on the boat) there shouldn't be any interference.

ok one question :

After both birds are connected by ethernet in my boat. 

If I make an adjustment to the main bird say to sensitivity or to colour palette is this automatically reflected in the second bird,(cho)?

Or do I adjust both birds one after the other?  I can see advantages either way and that the systems may not be capable.

jim

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another question

With two birds (Solix, cho and regular) linked together by ethernet wire and only one transducer  can one unit run auto chart live while the other operates side imaging? I know I can operate gps/mapping with side imaging.

Thanks in advance

jim

On 10/23/2021 at 10:25 AM, laker1 said:

Yet another question

With two birds (Solix, cho and regular) linked together by ethernet wire and only one transducer  can one unit run auto chart live while the other operates side imaging? I know I can operate gps/mapping with side imaging.

Thanks in advance

jim

I've never ran autochart live becasue the maps I needed were on Lakemaster chart cards. I don't see why you couldn't run them together though.

You can run on either graph. The only problem is that the Autochart will only show on the unit with the chip. Even when the map is on global settings and the map chip in one unit is available on all graphs, the autochart stays local. Transducers are available on all units. At least that's the way it works on my setup (3 networked Solix units with 3 transducers - thru hull, mega side and trolling motor, Navionics map chip and 2 Autochart chips).