Trolling motor issue

fisherman21

I have recently purchased a 2019 Alumacraft trophy 195. The boat came with a minn kota ulterra. The first few times I used the boat, the trolling motor worked flawlessly. I had the boat out twice this past weekend, and the trolling motor would be working fine for a few minutes, and would then just power itself off. I could hit the power button right after it shut off, and it would turn back on, but then would just power off after another couple minutes. Any idea what could be causing this? 

I have recently purchased a 2019 Alumacraft trophy 195. The boat came with a minn kota ulterra. The first few times I used the boat, the trolling motor worked flawlessly. I had the boat out twice this past weekend, and the trolling motor would be working fine for a few minutes, and would then just power itself off. I could hit the power button right after it shut off, and it would turn back on, but then would just power off after another couple minutes. Any idea what could be causing this? 

Had the same problems and these are just the “beginning symptoms”. They will get worse. It is your plug. The plug that comes with Minnkota is the Marinco plug. Junk. Mine was always hot, always came loose on its own and eventually caught fire. Yes, actual flames and burning plastic.

I switched to a two prong Trac plug. All problems went away and the plug is not even warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Check wiring and connections- Ulterra’s are voltage sensitive.  I’d look close at the plug-I’ve been told that a Battery Tender brand plug is a good one to use on that model TM.  Check voltage to see if in spec.

As mentioned....make sure your batteries are good.  With the unit powered on and not running, take a voltage measurement across the collective battery set.  Should be close to 37.5V fully charged (12.6v/battery).  If it reads below 36V (or less) time for a new set of batteries!   You can also take them to the auto parts store and have them load tested.  

Marty

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2021 at 12:56 PM, ThreeDogsDown said:

Had the same problems and these are just the “beginning symptoms”. They will get worse. It is your plug. The plug that comes with Minnkota is the Marinco plug. Junk. Mine was always hot, always came loose on its own and eventually caught fire. Yes, actual flames and burning plastic.

I switched to a two prong Trac plug. All problems went away and the plug is not even warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. I actually saw this the day my motor totally died but got jammed up with work and just had a chance to replace the plug. 

Spot on diagnosis. 

A64A10D9-8E39-4C65-AE84-B8F518DFAD9F.jpeg

• Like 1