wireless speed and steering control for a tohatsu 9.9 remote controlled (Cables)

rolmops

I am thinking of getting rid of the (not so) EZ steer setup that I am currently using and investing in a wireless remote control steering setup,maybe just steering or maybe also speed control. What would e a good system to go with? This is for a 19 foot Islander with a 140 horse mercruiser and a 9.9 remote controlled Tohatsu (cables).

Thank you for your advise and opinions,

Cornelis.

Edited by rolmops

i was thinking of doing the same thing with my kicker. but for its not in my budget to get the auto pilot i researched. but from days of checking them out i settled on the garmin reactor 40 with the monitor. you can ust a lot of FF as your monitor. but i'm just not good at technical stuff. the cost for the stand alone unit with throttle control included is 2599.00 maybe by next season i'll have the money to spare. check out the garmin before you buy something you'll regret later.

That is very much like what I want. My Tohatsu doesn’t have a steering tube and they solve that problem. The price is reasonable and it is flexible setup, leaving room for improvisation

thank you .

Edited by rolmops

18 minutes ago, rolmops said:

That is very much like what I want. My Tohatsu doesn’t have a steering tube and they solve that problem. The price is reasonable and it is flexible setup leaving room for improvisation

thank you .

if you have a ff that's compatible you can use it as your monitor you don't need to buy one. then it's only about 2299.00.

That is very much like what I want. My Tohatsu doesn’t have a steering tube and they solve that problem. The price is reasonable and it is flexible setup leaving room for improvisation
thank you .
Welcome, let me know how it works if you buy it, the video shows it moving quickly which I kinda like. The wireless is a a bit more I believe..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, Nautitroller said:

Welcome, let me know how it works if you buy it, the video shows it moving quickly which I kinda like. The wireless is a a bit more I believe..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Amazon has it for $784, but I suspect that around thanksgiving I may be able to find it a lot cheaper so I will buy it around that time although there are some comments about poor customer service.

• Like 1

I don't know who has been following the news lately but the entire US supply and distribution chain has been disrupted by the shortage of truck drivers, and the fact that there are hundreds of gigantic container ships parked at anchor off Los Angeles waiting to unload.. (may be weeks to months) and .it is jammed up worse than ever seen. This may not be the time to be thinking about potential discounts. If you can get something now it may be the time to do so. Same applies to Xmas gifts.

10 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I don't know who has been following the news lately but the entire US supply and distribution chain has been disrupted by the shortage of truck drivers, and the fact that there are hundreds of gigantic container ships parked at anchor off Los Angeles waiting to unload.. (may be weeks to months) and .it is jammed up worse than ever seen. This may not be the time to be thinking about potential discounts. If you can get something now it may be the time to do so. Same applies to Xmas gifts.

You are right. Even though this is made in the USA.

I just went ahead and ordered it. If it is a piece of horse manure, I will simply blame you for making me anxious and doing impulsive things. (If the prices do go down for black Friday,I will simply return this one and get the cheaper one with the compliments of Amazon return policy.)

If you are a bit of a do it yourselfer you may want to look into a Telstar 28 firefly linear actuator. That would do the job for about $200

Edited by rolmops

Sk8man in case you wondered. I found out about this about a day after I ordered the other stuff, part of which is on back order.

And yes I am mad not at you, but at myself for yet again being impulsive and not doing all the research first .

Edited by rolmops

So I got the Powrtran Tailfin and it is a disaster

After I opened the package I started putting parts together and I found that the quick connectors on the connector bar do not properly fit because of imprecise milling. I took a closer look and discovered that a tiny allen bolt that is supposed to keep the quick connector body in place on the bar was not screwed in straight and sticking out. It was begging to be shorn off. My conclusion is that it is bad workmanship and very poor to non exisisting quality control. If I would have gone on the water with this piece of manure it would most probably have fallen apart in the first hour of use potentially leaving me with a rudderless boat.

Since I have a Tohatsu which does not have a steering tube I also had to buy a powrtran Tailfin steering tube kit which does not really fit on the outboard clamps where it is supposed to go.

So my conclusion is that this is not a reliable piece of equipment and it will go back accompanied by a big fat negative feedback.

Edited by rolmops