Kicker on inboard

cuttermag

Cutter, scroll down about 10 topics and this question was discussed in a topic titled “kicker question” by Phil 2.  Answer with a picture of a Honda on a Tiara with kicker tied to rudders.

• Like 1

My previous boat was a Sportcraft 272 with a single inboard and hydraulic steering with Raymarine autopilot running the rudder.  I installed a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker that was connected to the rudder arm inside the boat.  I used a steering cable that was standard steering tube end at the Yamaha but was unique at the other end.  It had a threaded outer shell so it could be mounted to a bracket and the inner push/ pull cable had a clevis that could be mounted to the rudder arm.  Was able to order this cable from Salmon Country Marina in Mexico, NY.  Never saw it anywhere else.  Sold the boat in 2018.  Don't have any pics of the setup.  Autopilot worked good with the kicker and rudder both turning. Also easy to put in the slip with the kicker.  Was a somewhat controlled crash with single inboard when docking before the kicker. Boat is still in use a a charter in the area. If you are interested in the name of the current owner pm me.

I just did some research on that very subject and after some expensive options I found that a linear actuator is a cheap and easy solution.

check this YouTube.

telstar 28 firefly linear actuator YouTube 

Edited by rolmops

Linear actuator looks interesting but does nothing for autopilot on the kicker.  The steering cable setup as I described gets you kicker integration to your existing autopilot and steering from your current helm for about $200.  Cant beat that.

• 2 weeks later...
Linear actuator looks interesting but does nothing for autopilot on the kicker.  The steering cable setup as I described gets you kicker integration to your existing autopilot and steering from your current helm for about $200.  Cant beat that.
You can install a rotary switch to choose kicker or rudders, i did this at first, but swapped to the cable after consideration of more response with the rudders under the boat.

What link are you using for $200? Just curious.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As I explained, I hooked a steering cable from the rudder arm inside the boat, ran a loop and thru the transom then to the kicker. The steering cable was a standard setup on one end to go thru the steering tube on the Yamaha 9.9 XPA 4 stroke.  So when the rudder arm inside the boat moved. The kicker turned.  SIMPLE.   If the rudder moved because you turned the steering wheel, the kicker turned appropriately.  If the rudder moved because an autopilot was controlling it, the kicker turned appropriately.  Care must be taken to attach the steering cable properly to the rudder arm.  It must be attached at a proper distance from the center pivot (shaft) so the kicker stops slightly short of full travel when the rudder arm is at full travel in both directions.  If this is not considered, something will eventually break in the system. The only drawback is the kicker is always turning when the rudder is turning.  You will need to setup the shift and throttle cables to allow kicker to turn when it is in the trim or lifted position and not being used. I didn't find this to be a big deal.

As I explained, I hooked a steering cable from the rudder arm inside the boat, ran a loop and thru the transom then to the kicker. The steering cable was a standard setup on one end to go thru the steering tube on the Yamaha 9.9 XPA 4 stroke.  So when the rudder arm inside the boat moved. The kicker turned.  SIMPLE.   If the rudder moved because you turned the steering wheel, the kicker turned appropriately.  If the rudder moved because an autopilot was controlling it, the kicker turned appropriately.  Care must be taken to attach the steering cable properly to the rudder arm.  It must be attached at a proper distance from the center pivot (shaft) so the kicker stops slightly short of full travel when the rudder arm is at full travel in both directions.  If this is not considered, something will eventually break in the system. The only drawback is the kicker is always turning when the rudder is turning.  You will need to setup the shift and throttle cables to allow kicker to turn when it is in the trim or lifted position and not being used. I didn't find this to be a big deal.
I understand what you did. What exact cable did you use..... ?

I used a dual outboard rotary cable so the tilt tube mount is on the Honda, and the other tilt tube mount is mounted via the rudder arm...

Nick

On 10/29/2021 at 9:13 PM, lakebound88 said:

I understand what you did. What exact cable did you use..... ?

I used a dual outboard rotary cable so the tilt tube mount is on the Honda, and the other tilt tube mount is mounted via the rudder arm...

Nick

That would work as long as the outer cover of the rudder end is attached to a stationary bracket and the push/pull cable (inner) is attached to the rudder arm.  The cable I used was from Salmon Country Marina and too expensive

For what it was. .I knew about it because a.friend of mine did it before me.  If I ever did it again I would modify a standard cable such as you did.  Most important thing is to insure full stroke of the rudder arm doesn't make the kicker hit the end of its travel in either direction.  Move the connection to the rudder arm a bit closer to the Shaft  if it does.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you guys did this you both are talking about an inboard!!! Not a I/O Correct?? I do have a rod/cable that you could attach to. But I have power steering and it turns hard unless I could pit a on demand pump or something. Other wise I'm going with the Garmin kicker GPS. I burned out 2 of those set ups that are self steer via remote but I had to run it. Its stupid the way its designed cause if you use the lanyard when you lift up to use it like a person should its ass backwards. My boat ABSOLUTELY is the worst to control at slow speeds like no wake zones you look like a drunken sailor!! What do you guys got for any ideas!! Anything for suggestions??? Thanks pap.

Oh one other thing would it be possible to add chines to the back sides where its totally bald from mid ship on my Sea Ray but its a older one like 84, know I should update but I just spent way to much on my shop. I got back into the starter and alternator business, not full time I just can't do after my 2 story fall on to an air-conditioner. I don't do the up and down the road big box store stuff. Basically the antiques both generators and starters. 6volt 12 volt for a lot of the farmers, and the marine units as you know usually if I get a good nose cone and a case to work with I'm doing good, and heavy equipment 24 & 36 volts. So gotta make my money back LOL. PAP.

Thanks buddy getting to old my Friend!! A totally new me. They reprogrammed me!!! Trying to get my pass word changed to keep my same email otherwise my other stuff is the same still. So I forgot or the new/old email is saying I just can't change that cause it says someone else has the above email. I'm not the most tech savvy person🙄🙄 so I'm trying to somehow ask the main cheese to change that. Its great to hear from ya!! I was keep a little in touch. 

When you guys did this you both are talking about an inboard!!! Not a I/O Correct?? I do have a rod/cable that you could attach to. But I have power steering and it turns hard unless I could pit a on demand pump or something. Other wise I'm going with the Garmin kicker GPS. I burned out 2 of those set ups that are self steer via remote but I had to run it. Its stupid the way its designed cause if you use the lanyard when you lift up to use it like a person should its ass backwards. My boat ABSOLUTELY is the worst to control at slow speeds like no wake zones you look like a drunken sailor!! What do you guys got for any ideas!! Anything for suggestions??? Thanks pap.
Mine is true inboard, correct. 20200325_181037.jpg