EDH in Jefferson/ St Lawrence County

Kevin J Legg

ย  Many of my friends are reporting very few, if any, trail cam photos or sightings of deer in past week. I took a drive this evening around a block where I generally can see 12-20 deer. Tonight I saw only 4.ย 
ย ย There have also been at least 20 dead deer found in the Hammond/ Redwood area. I have also observed, what seems to be, a large number of turkey vultures around this area.
ย ย This has me very concerned with affect of EHD on our local deer population and the upcoming season. I also donโ€™t remember not having a frost this late in the fall.
ย 

Got my muzzleloader ready to go

with black horn powder and bullets you gave me. Shoots very nicely! Now Iโ€™m not sure if I want to shoot a deer especially a doe.

Took a drive to Pulaski early this morning and never saw a deer on the way down or back. Many folks in my area are concerned.

Took an early morning drive today and covered about 40 miles. Passed many fields where I always see deer. I saw only 3 fawns under one apple tree near the road with no doe. Never saw another deer. Things definitely look bleak! I hear things may not be bad in the Canton area but donโ€™t know for sure, think they had a frost.

Just took my normal short ride and saw the same 4 doe and 5 fawns back on the place I hunt. Also saw 2 deer in field where I had been seeing them in. Perhaps it didn't hit as bad as I thought๐Ÿ˜€
Iโ€™ve seen 22 deer since last evening after seeing none for several days. Granted some were the same deer but Iโ€™m much more optimistic than yesterday!

ย  Just heard a friend found 4 more dead ones walking his property with a dog.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

I had never heard of EHD before here in Ontario. There are "rumours" of lots of deer found on Wolfe Island. A friend as told me he knows of 60 that were found in one general location. Also other locations along the 1000 Island corridor have been discussed.

Our Ministry of Natural Resources has not released a statement from what I can tell. All word of mouth.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

My sister in law in Canton sent me this message.ย 
I had a guy come into the store today and somehow we started on a conversation and he told me Pierce a nearby farmer found 100 dead deer ๐Ÿ˜ž
Although not confirmed it certainly is scary and no frost in the forecast.