Seneca Perch

Shakem, it’s always a crap shoot it seems from year to year. For some, weekends help them locate active fish by seeing the boats. Others like myself would rather stay to weekdays and less crowds. Looks for the weeds and edges in that 15-30 ft off creeks and bays. Fall time is a good time but that winter spring can even be better. So don’t store that boat if you can help it. I will tell you this, if you see boats in February on the lake, somethin somethin might just a be happening out there. 

Don't be afraid to launch at Sampson. Perch fishing had been great up until I pulled the boat a few weeks ago. Even slamming some giant gills! Look for the schools. Look for individual fish over the traditional "ball". The perch were eating small alwives....

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great advice above. Nick mentioned the small sawbellies. The jumbos love the sawbellies about 2 inches long and if you are lucky enough to find a big school of them locate off to the edge and cast back into them with the biggest fathead minnows you have. plastic imitation minnows can work too but not as well as the live ones.sometimes they want the bait moving (as in drifting) and sometimes they prefer it still (anchored....they can be fussy:lol: The big girls may not be in real close yet with the higher water temps recently. Have to really look around at different depths and don't be afraid to look deeper than you might think:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Wondering if anyone has been seeing any pike on Seneca used to spend some late season trips chasing them in the bays sheltered. From the wind. Have really gotten away from Seneca the last several years but have a lot of good memories thinking about a nostalgia trip before the boat goes asleep for winter don't really wanna trout and salmon troll I get my fill of that all Summer I know not a lot of people target them there but wondering if they are struggling as much as as the trout

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wondering if anyone has been seeing any pike on Seneca used to spend some late season trips chasing them in the bays sheltered. From the wind. Have really gotten away from Seneca the last several years but have a lot of good memories thinking about a nostalgia trip before the boat goes asleep for winter don't really wanna trout and salmon troll I get my fill of that all Summer I know not a lot of people target them there but wondering if they are struggling as much as as the trout

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The toothy ones are there! Saw plenty this year fishing skinny!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

seneca perch can be hard to find this time of year. weather is changing with strong wind.  years ago I was pretty good at finding these perch. sure you can find a few inside 30 ft of water but Most of them will be in deep water. try fishing in deep water with lite fishing gear with wind 10 mph or more. its impossible to feel them hit along with the wind pushing you down the lake. you have to anchor your boat and you have to know were to anchor. its not easy. this time of year the north end is good if you can get a nice day with lite wind. I like to start out in 60 ft and drift in till I can find the depth they are at. the guy that started this thread. why do you want to fish Seneca. you have better fishing up on those Lake Ontario creeks. oak orchard will have some good perch fishing soon. these perch are easy to catch compared to what you have to go thru to find fish on Seneca. Seneca perch fishing is very overrated today. the perch schools years ago were massive. I blame the cormorants for the small perch numbers today and along with our foolish game laws that we fisherman can sell our catch. get rid of the cormorants and get rid of this damaging stupid fish law now. in 3 years we will have more than enough perch state wide. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, land locked said:

There's still plenty of perch on Seneca if you know where to look. The hard part is getting them to hit the last few months all they will hit is Crab's

Thats odd.. I have never seen a perch anywhere on any lake or river that wouldn't hit a plain old worm...