Why you hit the deer in the a$$

Gill-T

An interesting observation occurred to me this weekend. It started Friday after work with a little target practice with my bow. All was good, nailing tight groups at a silver dollar sized target. Come Saturday and as per usual on state land, a mile back and 40’ up. First light came and I was greeted with a doe group in range. They got a pass. Then a fisher came by with something in its mouth. Then boredom set in so I decided to practice drawing my bow to get a feel for things. When I drew back I became alerted to a problem. I found I could not line up my hindsight with the front pin. I checked all connections to see if anything loosened up but everything was tight and in the normal position. I was scratching my head. What changed?  The only thing I could think of was I was wearing a glove on my left hand.  I took the glove off and voila, the sight picture was normal. Wearing a glove was causing severe bow torque as I was holding the bow handle differently. The beauty of a hindsight is it shows you instantly if you are out of alignment. I would not have been able to shoot at a deer with a glove on if given a chance with my set up.  If I didn’t have the hindsight and just a front pin, I could have thought everything was fine upon drawing my bow which could have resulted in a miss or worse…. a wounded animal.  Anyway, something to consider when practicing with your bow. 

E4DD7213-3E03-4892-949D-79A33C329538.jpeg

• Like 1

My first peep sight, draw back on a monster in the rain.. can’t see crap, sitting at full draw blowing in the peep sight finally cleared it, dropped the deer where he stood, no more hunting in the rain….

4 hours ago, idn713 said:

I use the Garmin Xero sight and the torque indicator is built into the ranging process before the sight places the pin. Incredible tool that’s opened my eyes to the importance of proper grip. 

first off, wow that is a large ticket item!  Second, what do you do when a deer is in cover and the range finder is reading bushes and branches in the foreground?

13 hours ago, Gill-T said:

first off, wow that is a large ticket item!  Second, what do you do when a deer is in cover and the range finder is reading bushes and branches in the foreground?

You preset pins so if you hit the range button once they'll pop up.  So you could have 3 pins pop up set for 20, 30, 40 yards.  

On 10/24/2021 at 9:28 PM, Gill-T said:

An interesting observation occurred to me this weekend. It started Friday after work with a little target practice with my bow. All was good, nailing tight groups at a silver dollar sized target. Come Saturday and as per usual on state land, a mile back and 40’ up. First light came and I was greeted with a doe group in range. They got a pass. Then a fisher came by with something in its mouth. Then boredom set in so I decided to practice drawing my bow to get a feel for things. When I drew back I became alerted to a problem. I found I could not line up my hindsight with the front pin. I checked all connections to see if anything loosened up but everything was tight and in the normal position. I was scratching my head. What changed?  The only thing I could think of was I was wearing a glove on my left hand.  I took the glove off and voila, the sight picture was normal. Wearing a glove was causing severe bow torque as I was holding the bow handle differently. The beauty of a hindsight is it shows you instantly if you are out of alignment. I would not have been able to shoot at a deer with a glove on if given a chance with my set up.  If I didn’t have the hindsight and just a front pin, I could have thought everything was fine upon drawing my bow which could have resulted in a miss or worse…. a wounded animal.  Anyway, something to consider when practicing with your bow. 

E4DD7213-3E03-4892-949D-79A33C329538.jpeg

What sight is that? I like the idea of not dealing with the peep.

13 hours ago, Gill-T said:

It’s the best thing I’ve ever bought for my bow and I would recommend it in a second to anyone. It’s incredible. That said, I never use the preset pins and I’ve never had an issue with false reads. The laser is very precise with your aiming point. You would need to use one to fully understand what I mean by that, but I have unwavering confidence in it. 

6 hours ago, tangledline said:

What sight is that? I like the idea of not dealing with the peep.

it is called a hindsight. You can order direct from the company. It is 100xs more precise than a peep with no problems in low light.  It allows you to shoot your bow like a gun. Three points of alignment- kisser button- hindsight-front pin. Once set, you can pick up the bow at any time and shoot what you are aiming at. They are VERY reasonably priced. If you look at the picture of my setup, you will notice the upper two arms on the hindsight I removed with a razor blade. You sight in and align with the top pin. My bow is zeroed at 20 yards but good out 30 yards. I have a 40 yard and a 50 yard pin. To shoot at 40 or 50, I still align with the top pin while at the same time place the lower pin on the target where you want it. 

https://www.hindsightco.com

Edited by Gill-T