Electric trolling motor on an Islander ?

tim

Most Islanders have 12 volt setups and all the ulterras that I have seen are at least 24 volt. That might cause a problem. Also, the electronics in the ulterra  (fishfinder and stuff) may mean that you double up on those.. If you are going to spend $2300 on an extra motor on an Islander you might as well buy a 9.9 which will give you a lot more power.

I had a trolling motor on it took it off more of a pain then it was worth with the ez steer. My Islander will go down to 1.5 mph On its own and charge the batteries great. What I’d like to have the trolling motor for is for spot lock.

I agree about the EZ steer. I use one myself on my Islander and it is a pain. Dependent on how the main engine is trimmed up or down the steering angle will differ. Great Sacandaga is big enough to get nasty and an electric motor will not get you out of trouble if the main engine fails. There are automatic pilot steering setups for kickers that will keep you exactly on spot. The problem with Islanders is that, being aluminum, they lay high in the water and the wind easily blows them around. I find that I often have to use the otter boats to make a straight troll track

Edited by rolmops

Couple things to consider.  What shaft length do you need for the Islander to keep TM in water?  Also what do you have for bow access as I believe the Ulterra has an on/off switch even though it self deploys?  Also need access in case of a malfunction.  Should go to 24volt power which means two more batteries or even 36 volt which would mean three batteries.  Probably a doable project but pretty involved- a consideration if an I pilot is a must would be a boat swap to a bow rider, center console or a bow style with better bow access.

Redid everything on the Islander. Lower unit motor carburetor interior upholstery. Keeping it love the boat. Would love to find a tandem trailer for it.And you’re right rolmops, I live near, and fish Sacandaga  quite a bit, it  can get snotty .

I talked to a guy once  who had an islander. He bought the water bag that they use in wakeboard boats. He could pump 200 gallons of water into the front bag To hold the nose of the boat down and regulate the amount of water in the bag as needed.