Deer Not On Brassica?

idn713

So I have beautiful green brassica plots that are not getting hit right now. These same plots got absolutely demolished last year and looked half as good. This year I got hundred of turnips the size of softballs! They should be all over this stuff! 

The plots I have now saw good use in sept but it seems like the deer have just not been on them heavy. I still get deer every other day or so. The wet weather got them  not wanting the brassica? Should I see an uptick when the cold finally comes? 

What gives! 

Never seen pears on the ground and this year there was some low enough for a deer to pick. 

They just started hitting them. 

defiantly a different year. Also with all the dead ash the under growth is out of control. 

48 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Same at mine, getting hit but not hard.  I figured with all the wet weather this summer and fall they have a lot of food sources?

Interesting you are seeing the same. The current conditions have to have something to do with it. Maybe more greenery around means less of a difference between our plots and the food sources they currently have. During the drier parts of August and Sept they certainly got used quite a bit more. 

I still have to get together with you and compare notes, after season now I guess. My plots look like a dog's breakfast. What started out good got hammered and is now penny size turnips and radishes with little to no top growth. And the deer didn't seem to destroy them this year like they did last, but the turkey and racoons killed it. 

I want to adopt your throw and mow philosophy. Too much work for too little payoff so far. 

Regardless, the doe are hiding their butts away now from rampaging bucks  - camera action in open areas has gone to zero - every time they show up, the bucks harass the heck out of them. It's like 1 am on a Friday night at the bar...

Edited by Gator

In northern Cayuga County, 9F, there is so much food available for the deer that I think they don't have to travel as much as they usually do.  Because of all the rain, I guess, there is a bumper crop of wild apples that are unusually sweet.  Deer are hammering them.  Also most of the fields have not been harvested yet and with all this rain who knows when the farmers will be able to do it.  It's hard to compete with all this spread out feed.  I bet the deer will have an unusually high amount of tallow this year, at least the does.

2 hours ago, Gator said:

I still have to get together with you and compare notes, after season now I guess. My plots look like a dog's breakfast. What started out good got hammered and is now penny size turnips and radishes with little to no top growth. And the deer didn't seem to destroy them this year like they did last, but the turkey and racoons killed it. 

I want to adopt your throw and mow philosophy. Too much work for too little payoff so far. 

Regardless, the doe are hiding their butts away now from rampaging bucks  - camera action in open areas has gone to zero - every time they show up, the bucks harass the heck out of them. It's like 1 am on a Friday night at the bar...

I’ll def be available to compare notes I want to help other guys out! And I have noticed the EXACT same thing on cam. Does are skittish and every buck in the neighboring areas are pushing them when they show up to feed. Just unusual cause I normally have reliable movement patterns into November and I lost them about a week ago. 

Last year we did 1 acre brassica plot a few deer in summer when it was sprouting then it got hammered late gun and muzzle tons of pictures of deer at night.. this year we did alfalfa and he shot a nice buck.. we’re clearing a bigger sight this spring for bedding around the edge and making a 2 acre plot

Brassicas sugar content changes after it freezes. They will be in there after the first good frost eating it like French fries!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nauti is right on this. First freeze changes sugar content, then they get hammered. Keep an eye on them in the upcoming week or so with colder nights coming. They'll heat up.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2