Repair Place Brush-Off?

Pete Collin

Hello All,

I need to replace the seals on my lower unit.  It's a '91 Johnson.  Called the local fix-it place and they said they don't work on old Johnsons.  Can't get parts, I'm told.  Gave me the name of somebody pretty far away.  So I looked first online and found a seal kit for my motor within a few minutes.  Does that mean the parts are likely no good, or did the shop tell me they can't get parts just because they don't like working on older motors?  Should I buy the kit and ask them to put it in?  I watched a Youtube video of replacing the lower unit seals, looks within my skills and aptitude.  Should I just go for it and do the repair myself?

most shops have young mechanics .they only know 4stroke. the lower units are easily serviced. just spray the bolts with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Use some heat when you loosen them up .

MOST of all, get yourself a factory manual for guidance. NOT some Seloc. Take pictures while you dismantle and put a big piece of card board under your work space.

Good luck ,it's not hard.

91 is 30 year's old I had an 88 last spring the mechanic said he didn't work on anything older than 95 he had more work than he could handle so just wasn't interested it sucked but at least he was honest about it I think with Johnson s that is going to be more and more common if your up to doing your own work than that is the way to go

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If the shop didn’t want to work on an Johnson they did you a favor by telling you upfront rather than halfway through the job.  Likely they have had some bad experiences with Johnson/Evinrude.  OMC went bankrupt in early 2000’s (twenty years ago) and BRP didn’t do the brands any favors especially in how they shut it down a couple years ago.  Best bet get your own parts, check out some You Tube video’s and do it yourself.  Outdoor businesses have been swamped last couple years- try to get a boat or a motor.  Not surprised shops can pick and choose.