Repair Place Brush-Off?

Pete Collin

Hello All,

I need to replace the seals on my lower unit.  It's a '91 Johnson.  Called the local fix-it place and they said they don't work on old Johnsons.  Can't get parts, I'm told.  Gave me the name of somebody pretty far away.  So I looked first online and found a seal kit for my motor within a few minutes.  Does that mean the parts are likely no good, or did the shop tell me they can't get parts just because they don't like working on older motors?  Should I buy the kit and ask them to put it in?  I watched a Youtube video of replacing the lower unit seals, looks within my skills and aptitude.  Should I just go for it and do the repair myself?

most shops have young mechanics .they only know 4stroke. the lower units are easily serviced. just spray the bolts with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Use some heat when you loosen them up .

MOST of all, get yourself a factory manual for guidance. NOT some Seloc. Take pictures while you dismantle and put a big piece of card board under your work space.

Good luck ,it's not hard.

91 is 30 year's old I had an 88 last spring the mechanic said he didn't work on anything older than 95 he had more work than he could handle so just wasn't interested it sucked but at least he was honest about it I think with Johnson s that is going to be more and more common if your up to doing your own work than that is the way to go

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If the shop didn’t want to work on an Johnson they did you a favor by telling you upfront rather than halfway through the job.  Likely they have had some bad experiences with Johnson/Evinrude.  OMC went bankrupt in early 2000’s (twenty years ago) and BRP didn’t do the brands any favors especially in how they shut it down a couple years ago.  Best bet get your own parts, check out some You Tube video’s and do it yourself.  Outdoor businesses have been swamped last couple years- try to get a boat or a motor.  Not surprised shops can pick and choose.

• 2 months later...

My   record in trying  to get anything on an outboard fixed is abyssmal.. I have found terrible incompetence from  some, an uncaring, unhelpful attitude from others.. Other times i was just terribly ripped off,,, Badly... 

Last attempt?..  Motor was cutting out constantly, and not  idling well when it did run.. 96 30 HP Johnson.Took it to a dealer locally that will not be named.

Bill was $350... They replaced  the  end on the fuel hose, and the 2 spark plugs, for that money...  No change at all in engine performance... Did my own diagnostics, found a bad fuel pump and rebuilt it.. I think the parts were $16 online.. End of problem... Vowed NEVER under any circumstance to bring a motor to a repair shop.. That   was the end.. Every time I have tried to have an "expert" do the job on a 2 stoke OB, I have had the same  outcome.

1 hour ago, Chuck Smth said:

Johnson is out of business. Anything for support I've seen is for the later direct inject motors. 

I understand that.. However, there are millions of those motors still out there, and most parts are still readily available. If I have no trouble sourcing parts, neither should a professional repair shop...    I do  almost all repairs on every motor I own, and the times I have tried to get help from a "real pro" have been a financial and   operational disaster.. I can understand parts availability issues I suppose, but not ineptitude , indifference,or  price gouging.

I mean seriously, a lot of know nothing
mechanics" like me can get through most outboard repairs on a motor from the 90's, but   a trained outboard mechanic can't?? I don't get it... bob

Not defending a bad mechanic but engine technology has come a long way. A 15 year vetern learned on engines from the late 90s and beyond so older stuff is not what there used to there is good money in working for dealers which is lots of work on newer engines and certifications on specific brands there is none of that around for Johnson now marine mechanics are in demand and there are not a lot so they can be very picky and charge a ton for labor it is upsetting but as long as they are up front I can respect that. Taking the work than not doing the repair is BS though and charging for an unfixed issue well just typing that sets off anger issues

13 hours ago, ifishy said:

Not defending a bad mechanic but engine technology has come a long way. A 15 year vetern learned on engines from the late 90s and beyond so older stuff is not what there used to there is good money in working for dealers which is lots of work on newer engines and certifications on specific brands there is none of that around for Johnson now marine mechanics are in demand and there are not a lot so they can be very picky and charge a ton for labor it is upsetting but as long as they are up front I can respect that. Taking the work than not doing the repair is BS though and charging for an unfixed issue well just typing that sets off anger issues

I was an ASE master auto  tech for many years.. I had to work on every conceivable oddball car or truck that came through the door.. A LOT of what I did was stuff I had never touched seen or even heard of.. You made calls, got specs, tech literature or in later years, computer files,  took your wrench in hand and did the repair.. I guess I am just getting old.... In any case, there ARE guys out there that would be happy to do the work, might just need to do some searching... bob