Lake Erie Fall Brawl (not NY)

Jomat

Got back last week from 4 days in Sandusky area of Ohio fishing the combo fall brawl/walleye slam derby.  Some pretty incredible cash in these derbies and u can weigh the same fish into both so I’ve been wanting to go play out there in November for a while and even tho we didn’t get a big one it didn’t disappoint.  Landed on some great weather with blue skies and southwest wind 8-20mph which meant it was fishable everyday all day….and tons of fish around to target.

First couple of days there was some dirty water blowing around the area from some high winds that hit the western basin….was really my first experience with stained water and once we busted out the “Ohio colors” from the crankbait box we were into fish pretty good.  Those wild colored baits that never seem to pull fish out in the eastern basin really shined in that 2’ type of vis condition.  Later in the trip when the water cleared up going back to some of those eastern basin patterns allowed us to keep pulling fish.

We went a little earlier than I would have wanted due to lining up vacation time with my buddy.  Water temp was 55 degrees and it seemed the 30”+ fish really hadn’t showed up yet.  Our big fish were in the 7-8.5 lb class.  Looks like they’re getting into some bigger ones this week…last year all the big ones were caught just after thanksgiving.  Great learning experience tho in a target rich environment….launched out of cranberry creek Marina just outside Huron which was excellent and would recommend to anyone going out there.  Did 40-50 fish/day except for the higher wind day and had no problems limiting out.  Best baits we’re reef runner skinny sticks, bay rat lxd, dhj14’s, and those WN reapers kicked butt out there.  My first time using them and I can’t wait to give them some run time when the southtowns derby rolls around.

2A296F42-BE9D-4E67-A27B-C383EF4B6D65.jpeg

85AC93FA-7FF1-4152-9D6A-B3EAEEBBC3FA.jpeg

4308DB66-A2E1-4509-891B-A34F586A0C71.jpeg

AF98409E-8E0C-4A25-8D25-DCC85463FF89.jpeg

• Like 4

Funny you guys come to ohio to get spoiled on our walleye and we come to New York to fight salmon cause were bored of walleye. Weve been fishing that area regular and east to lorain there is fish for miles along that line.

The water has cooled significantly this week I would start around 1.6 and move up or down from there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

Waking up early (middle of the night) and leaving for Huron if wind still checks out to fish the weekend.
Im in both derbies . Be great to place but im going fishing !
What was your speed? Guessing around 2mph

Sent from my SM-A600A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gonna be a little windy but it’s coming out of the south and you don’t hafta go way offshore to get them.  Also if a good wind window opens up in the evening don’t be afraid to night fish.  Guys were doing good out of cranberry creek at night.  Our best speed was 1.7 down speed.

Gonna be a little windy but it’s coming out of the south and you don’t hafta go way offshore to get them.  Also if a good wind window opens up in the evening don’t be afraid to night fish.  Guys were doing good out of cranberry creek at night.  Our best speed was 1.7 down speed.
Everything you said [emoji106]!

Well, i didnt win a new boat or two or place in the money, biggest fish was 9 pounder.
Had a great time and a cauggt a bunch of solid fish . Southwind made it doable but by Saturday night it blew some warm water out a little further than i thought . I got out to 46 fow and on Sunday and at the boat ramp 50 fow started firing up guys were saying . As is the case with me i came up a little short . I didnt sleep much fishing a marathon for the weekend , pounded it out day and night.
I may give it another shot Friday ,Saturday , and Sunday morning if wind allows . Derby ends sunday 11 or 12 midday.

Great job grinding it out in def tougher conditions than I had.  I’d bet it was rolling pretty good out there 4 miles offshore with that south wind 15-25.  How was the night fishing?…..I wished we had spent some time doing that.  Friday looks like a heavy northwest wind….might blow some of that water back in.  Saturday and Sunday look prime….just make sure u get to the weigh in in time!

• 1 year later...

Doing some research on the Ohio walleye derby scene this offseason to pass the time. I think I will be burning the first week of November on Erie this year instead of spending the time in a treestand. Any info on the best ports and places to stay would be appreciated. I almost don’t want to ask what are some good lure patterns especially after reviewing posts on all things walleye as everyone will answer differently so it probably doesn’t matter as much as we think. Ross Robertson’s Big Water posts are entertaining.