Southern Deer opener 2021

Missdemeanor

Where do I begin... I've been hunting all week in Steuben County. Bow hunted for a solid week... Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon I saw many different bucks. My friends and I have a self imposed antler restriction so I let a pile of scrub bucks go...

I did shwack a donkey doe mid week. One doe and I'm good ... Now hold off for a mature buck...

Opener of gun season... I'm set up at the bottom of a hill... Absolutely zero deer movement.. Out of the corner of my eye I notice a dark object quartering towards me and going up the hill in a thick portion of hardwoods... I can't believe my eyes... It's a bear! I pic a sliver of an opening in front of him... As soon as black fur appears in my scope, I send it! The bear disappears behind a blow down... I don't see him leave the blow down... I keep the scope on the blow down... I notice a black paw twitching.. "He's gotta be down" I keep saying to myself... After a few combat breaths, a few whspered phone calls to my hunting buddies, and I gather up my balls and approach the blow down...

I close the 100 yard distance in what seemed like a week... I'm not going to lie.. My knees were knocking with every deliberate step... When I'm about 50 ft from the blow down, I see the bears head... Eye open, pupil blown... He's done. Once I get around the rest of the blow down, I finally get a full view of the bruin... Holy hell he's a giant! I still cannot believe how big he is...

He's going on the scales tomorrow!

It took four guys, and an ATV with a winch to get him out... A day I'm not going to forget....

1120211106_HDR.jpg1120211128.jpg1120211133b.jpg1120211355.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Great bear Matt.  I hunt across the road from you.  Bears have been showing up on trail cams the last few years and we've seen them up close and personal.  I got a great video on my cell phone to show you from last year. It was 13 yds. It's great seeing them in the woods.  Two weeks ago my brother was in his ground blind and a big bear came by him at 15 yds. Eye to eye. He said his heart was pounding. May have been  your bear. I gave him a can of wasp and hornet spray to put in his blind. Anyways gratz on your trophy.

The bear measured 18 7/8.... Thought that was pretty cool. Can't say I would ever shoot another one... Maybe yes, maybe no..
Since the dates and Limits have changed with waterfowling, I've been looking to getting back into whitetail hunting... More stand time in my future.

Great bear Matt.  I hunt across the road from you.  Bears have been showing up on trail cams the last few years and we've seen them up close and personal.  I got a great video on my cell phone to show you from last year. It was 13 yds. It's great seeing them in the woods.  Two weeks ago my brother was in his ground blind and a big bear came by him at 15 yds. Eye to eye. He said his heart was pounding. May have been  your bear. I gave him a can of wasp and hornet spray to put in his blind. Anyways gratz on your trophy.
That bear was a tough ole SOB... Some idiot shot him in the shoulder with small caliber round... Possibly a pistol or even .556 round... He also had porcupine quills all over his front legs...
He's going to make an awesome full size mount.... And I'm curious to try bear steaks

1123211728.jpg

Couple years ago I shot a 2 1/2 year old male bear.  The taxidermist I used suggested I get summer sausage, Italian sausage, ground and some steaks.  Meat was OK and we eat it.  Would I shoot another one - no thanks - I checked bear off my list and one was enough.