HELP! Primer Removal

bowbender

I bought a two year old boat with bottom paint. I will be trailering the boat so I'd rather not have the antifouling paint again. The deal is all of the bottom paint came off with soy strip and so did some of the primer coat. The problem is getting the remainder of the primer off. I would say there's probably 75% left and its a thin coat. What would be the best suggestion to remove the rest obviously, I'm trying to get it back to the original gelcoat or at least get to where I can have it painted with a non anti fouling paint.

Thank you for any advice you may have. Also if I can't get the primer off without ruining the gelcoat what kind of paint would be suggested? As you can see I'm a novice when it comes to paint/gelcoat issues. Thanks in advace for any suggestions.

It may not be primer you are taking off. It may be vapor barrier paint. I would leave the vapor barrier paint on it. It prevent your hull from getting blisters. I just put vapor barrier paint on my boat. I used Interlux 2000. It takes 4 coats of paint for proper coating. The paint is not cheap. I took 1 3/4 gallons of paint to cover my 22' boat with 4 coats.

Gambler, thanks for the reply. I should take some pictures to verify. I assumed it was the primer becuse it is a flat gray and very smooth. Did you roll that barrier coat on or spray? And did you put on the anti-fouling paint over the barrier too. Thanks again.

I rolled it on. Very easy to work with. The only problem is 3 hours between coats. I started early in the morning and did all 4 coats in one day. The warmer the better when you put it on. I'm not sure if you can spray it on.

Good to know, I see they have other colors to choose from too. So you just left it gray and didn't paint over it? The other issue is that I will be trailering the boat so is this stuff tough as nails? Again, thanks for the input. I'm stating with a newer boat so I want to get it right the first time.

i painted my boat two years ago and it is holding up perfect. i had antifouling paint on the bottom and it was a horrible job removing it all. i started with a pressure washer to remove the loose stuff and a hole bunch of oven cleaner to remove the paint. make sure you take it off the trailer first and it will take multilpe applications of oven cleaner to remove all the paint. once i had the paint and most of the primer removed, i sanded the rest with a DA and multiple grades of sandpaper. I had the local auto paint store come and shoot the paint color and then mix two gallons of dupont emrnon and painted up to the gunwhale. the paint was extremely expensive but worth every cent. attached are some before and after. Good Luck

aV2rE_x9.jpg

aV2rFg_9.jpg

aV2rFtsS.jpg

aV2rFKVS.jpg

aV2rFSpi.jpg