Muzzleloader Primers

fisherman21

It's very hard to understand the primer scarcity problem.  I have been looking for many months for some W209 primers for my Savage ML II.  Gunbroker often has them for an outrageous price.  And I don't need 5000 or even 1000 of them.  Often they are in the newer  style packaging and that makes me think somebody is able to buy them.  I look at many online retail sources, they are always unavailable.  I have been able to find other items by frequent searching but never primers.  I wish you good luck.

2 hours ago, fisherman21 said:

So I have recently acquired a muzzleloader and have bought everything to get started, but I can’t find primers anywhere. Would anybody be willing to sell me a box or point me in the right direction? Any help is appreciated. 

2A84D0C8-1A14-47D2-A5A0-8D7F5095DD61.jpeg

Let me check with my uncle and see if he has any in stock.  

2 hours ago, fisherman21 said:

So I have recently acquired a muzzleloader and have bought everything to get started, but I can’t find primers anywhere. Would anybody be willing to sell me a box or point me in the right direction? Any help is appreciated. 

2A84D0C8-1A14-47D2-A5A0-8D7F5095DD61.jpeg

Check your pm’s

You know you can use any 209 primer right?  I'm sure the box you show is just a marketing ploy to separate you from more of your money. I've been using the same 209 primers for my muzzle loader that I used to use for my trap loads, before the price of lead bb's went insane. Thanks you lunatic environmentalists. Now I don't reload my shot gun shells anymore. Muzzle loader always fires, unlike percussion caps which sometimes don't if you don't keep your nipple clean. Anybody want to buy a MEC 600 Jr reloader?

• Like 1

The above post is not true…..not all 209 primers are created equal.

A standard 209 shot shell primer burns a bit hotter than those 209 primers marketed for MZ such as Remington Kleenbore or Winny 777 primers. These primers have less fouling and thus are good for MZ’s but they cannot all powder substitutes.

You can use them with black powder substitutes like Pyrodex but you CANNOT use them with blackhorn 209 powder as they do not burn hot enough

Blackthorn recommends CCI 209M or the Federal 209a primers

So even though all of these are labeled 209 primers, there’s still differences among them

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

22 minutes ago, momay4000 said:

The above post is not true…..not all 209 primers are created equal.

A standard 209 shot shell primer burns a bit hotter than those 209 primers marketed for MZ such as Remington Kleenbore or Winny 777 primers. These primers have less fouling and thus are good for MZ’s but they cannot all powder substitutes.

You can use them with black powder substitutes like Pyrodex but you CANNOT use them with blackhorn 209 powder as they do not burn hot enough

Blackthorn recommends CCI 209M or the Federal 209a primers

So even though all of these are labeled 209 primers, there’s still differences among them

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I believe this is true and for the Savage ML II, which is designed for smokeless powder, the manufactured specified to use W 209 (shotshell) primers.  Other hotter primers reportedly may increase chamber pressure.  Will they go bang?  I would imagine so but I feel I have to stick with what the manufacturer recommends.

The residue you are seeing in your barrel is from the powder not the primer.

If you don't have any primers, and it's sit home or hunt, it's your choice. I don't know anything about blackhorn, but I have used my trap shooting primers on pyrodex and triple seven for 20 years. Fired every time. You should clean your barrel every 10 shots or so anyway or accuracy suffers. Same as slugs thru a shot gun. Do what you want, it's still a free country so far. Let's go Brandon.

• Like 1

Man, I wish I only had to clean my barrel every ten shots. If I don't clean it after three or four using triple seven, forcing a bullet down the barrel becomes a Herculean effort. 

Agreed that BH needs special primers, otherwise pop fizz, "damn!!" not that I would know lol.

49 minutes ago, Gator said:

Man, I wish I only had to clean my barrel every ten shots. If I don't clean it after three or four using triple seven, forcing a bullet down the barrel becomes a Herculean effort. 

Agreed that BH needs special primers, otherwise pop fizz, "damn!!" not that I would know lol.

I agree, that's why I use powerbelt sabot bullets for my back up shots. Way easier to load. Not as accurate, but close enough for shots under 60 yards, which is all i'm ever going to get where I usually hunt. 

I agree, that's why I use powerbelt sabot bullets for my back up shots. Way easier to load. Not as accurate, but close enough for shots under 60 yards, which is all i'm ever going to get where I usually hunt. 

Power belt bullets are not typically used with a sabot sleeve so I’m confused here? They have their own special base but I didn’t think you use a sabot sleeve with them. I shoot Hornady SST’s sabots and they are hard as heck to push down the barrel unless I swab after every 2 shots. I have to Swab every two shots shooting from my bench

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 12/1/2021 at 7:13 PM, Hillbillyx-press said:

My CVA Accura has a lot of residue after one shot.Using REM. Muzzleloader primers.Any advice? Thanks 

CCI Mangum 209 primers.  Regular muzzleloading primers with Black Horn and you will get hang fires and misfires.   The Blackhorn website recommends Magnum 209 primers not regular muzzleloader primers.  

On 12/1/2021 at 8:18 PM, Born to Fish said:

i agree with puking dog above, you can use any 209 primers.

buying "muzzleloader" primers is overthinking it in my opinion

Regular muzzleloading primers with Black Horn and you will get hang fires and misfires.   The Blackhorn website recommends Magnum 209 primers not regular muzzleloader primers.  Some guns you will also need a special breech plug to shoot the Blackhorn powder.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 12:23 PM, pukingdog said:

I use the new 285 aero tip elr power belt bullets and they shoot better than any sabot I've ever fired. I use 150 grs of 777 pellets with 777 primes. I've shot as many as 15 shots without cleaning the barrel without having a lot of trouble pushing the bullet down. however, when I shoot for accuracy, I shoot 3 shot groups then clean it if I plan on shooting another group.

Sounds like a few members are able to help out - good to see the comradery amongst our community of members. 

Last week I was at Doc's tackle shop in Honeoye - they had a decent supply of 100 pack primers and Triple-7 pellets on the shelf if you're looking to stock up.

8960 Main St Honeoye, NY 14471
(585) 229-2277