We will be challenged to keep trolling

Gill-T

4 hours ago, jimski2 said:

The 40/50 HP electric motors will operate a 16 foot aluminum boat. Compare the weight of a couple tanks of gasoline and a 40 HP outboard and the battery weight and motor weight are similar. The Trailer boats are launched and charged at home or on shore. My 18 foot trailer boat with a two battery charging system is on charge daily even through the winter.

I wouldn't want to use a 16 ft boat on Lake Ontario. I've seen the weather turn quick enough.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone doubts the fact  the electric motors will power a boat / car fine,. Maybe and probably better .

My concern is the supply and availability at peak times will not be enough and sufficient . 

Suppose there is an electrical supply issue and there is a shortage of supply. I can see rationing and essential usage.  And fishing isn't essential . 

I would hope the  powers at be would have and are thinking of this stuff . We won the cold war etc etc . But we seem to be more concerned with BS  . 

Good thing I like Chinese food .  

6 hours ago, HB2 said:

And there won't be a war . we would have a hard time winning.  

While China was building up their military and economics  , look at we were busy doing the last 15 years . 

Never said we would start or win a war, only stated that if China is cut off from vital resources who knows what they may do.

Bass boats have been using electric trolling motors for decades. Electric power for trolling makes perfect sense. Quiet, efficient, low maintenance. There are already electric outboards available and trolling motors that can be attached to the anti-cavitation plate of an outdrive. 

If I was setting up a new boat for trolling today I would definitely consider an electric kicker.   I already see smaller boats on the lake trolling with bow-mounts with the iPilot and doing so successfully.

YMMV, 

Chuck 

City of Buffalo recently ordered 10 electric busses. Cost was 1 million per bus.  Diesels are 500,000 per bus. So , us taxpayers are dropping a extra 5 million for 10 busses that will not outlive the diesels as salt puts them.on a level playing field. Makes perfect sense , that 5 million couldn't be used for myriad of other things , from education to food and shelter for the inner city people . Or,  know wait for this,  lower taxes, maybe put it in a reserve fund . Of course it's probably federally funded , our taxes again , and that grant money has to be used for that vs something that might make sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozeman Bob said:

City of Buffalo recently ordered 10 electric busses. Cost was 1 million per bus.  Diesels are 500,000 per bus. So , us taxpayers are dropping a extra 5 million for 10 busses that will not outlive the diesels as salt puts them.on a level playing field. Makes perfect sense , that 5 million couldn't be used for myriad of other things , from education to food and shelter for the inner city people . Or,  know wait for this,  lower taxes, maybe put it in a reserve fund . Of course it's probably federally funded , our taxes again , and that grant money has to be used for that vs something that might make sense. 

On the bright side, they are very quiet, so the bus driver will be able to be heard yelling, “put out that joint, no shooting up back there, and get off!”. 

5 hours ago, Chuck Smth said:

Bass boats have been using electric trolling motors for decades. Electric power for trolling makes perfect sense. Quiet, efficient, low maintenance. There are already electric outboards available and trolling motors that can be attached to the anti-cavitation plate of an outdrive. 

If I was setting up a new boat for trolling today I would definitely consider an electric kicker.   I already see smaller boats on the lake trolling with bow-mounts with the iPilot and doing so successfully.

YMMV, 

Chuck 

The problem with your post is : Lake O is not a small impoundment and most bass boats and boats small enough to be propelled by electric motors stay inshore. When you venture offshore , you better have a seaworthy craft under you capable of handling the big lake. Your life depends on it. A kicker on a single engine boat is not just for trolling. It can get you back in if your main fails. Respect Lake O , or pay the price 

10 hours ago, jimski2 said:

We used an 18 foot Plywood boatfor blue pike fishing years ago. Powered by a 30 HP Evinrude. Watching the weather was a constant decision maker.

30 HP was the largest outboard made at that time, we caught fish, just a lot slower.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, HB2 said:

And there won't be a war . we would have a hard time winning.  

While China was building up their military and economics  , look at we were busy doing the last 15 years . 

Man is that ever right on target.  Folks can continue to keep their head in the sand and ignore the reality but we are on a definite collision course with China and have been since Nixon opened up relations with them. Their clear goal is to be number one in the world and to dominate the world and its resources and they have made substantial progress toward that end.They already own us and much of our technology. They have even reportedly announced to their population to prepare for war. We are asleep at the switch. They have been preparing for a long time for this and Taiwan will probably be "tipping point" and perhaps sooner than later. This is not the time for a totally incompetent government which we now have. Gloom and doom....yes and rightfully so.

Edited by Sk8man

One source publishes bad things about this guy another source publishes bad things about that guy. We have been voting the lesser of two evils for quite a while now. I'll take the guy who doesn't seek to put OUR economy in the crapper.

The China problem is not new and how does it relate to electric powered vehicles etc.? They are the chief miner of Lithium and they are presently courting Afghanistaan which has huge deposits of it. Here is something I wrote about the emerging China problem more than ten years ago:

scan0003a.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Or in terms of their main objective nearly 50 years ago when Nixon established a relationship with them.

Edited by Sk8man