Early Spring Trolling

Question on early spring fishing mostly browns.   I get in a little arguing match with my buddy every time this comes up.   So, SOON as the ice is out and its safe for the most part of large ice chunks. I used to go out with an aquaintence and we caught some browns soon as we found 45-50 degree + -   water.  I mean we did not go out crazy far, but I wanna say 50 fow or whatever,  IDK.   That was a while ago.   I now started fishing with my friend here out of SR/Sandy area.   He says no need to go out then, gotta wait til they come into shore.   I say no way.  I mean soon as it warms up enough where bait can be found out further and the fish sort of leave the shores then yes I understand that.  But what about BEFORE they get real close to shore?   Why not go troll a little bit further out? or is it normally way too far out that time of year to find that warmer water? I would think they would be somewhat active even in 45F water temps.  Would normally have to go way too far out on the Eastern Basin?   

28 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

I'm catching them now and right through Spring in 20' or less. You won't see 50* water until close to May.

So soon as ice is out, it really doesn't matter where you fish? I mean, find fish close to shore and its usually Browns or some steelies in April?   They just come near shore soon as ice is out?  Regardless ( more or less ) of water temps?   Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Hounds said:

So soon as ice is out, it really doesn't matter where you fish? I mean, find fish close to shore and its usually Browns or some steelies in April?   They just come near shore soon as ice is out?  Regardless ( more or less ) of water temps?   Thanks. 

The Browns never leave the shore really. The Salmon are the ones out deep in the warmest water all Winter (on the bottom in 250-400') that will migrate to the shore with the bait as the waters warm. Lake Trout can be found out in deeper water (30-100') during the Winter as well.

• Like 1