Boating In Devil’s Hole

Burger

12 hours ago, scobar said:

10/11/2005 a captain and passenger drowned in devils hole

Thanks for the post ! Where there others ? We got as far as the Queenston / Lewiston bridge when a swirl tilted the port stern to about 1 cm. of free board and that was enough for us to back off ! IMO once it starts getting scared it stops being fun ! been there too many times and do not want any others ! Again no fish is worth risking your safety for !

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

My experience is that when the stream water temperature reaches 45 degrees F. the trout return to the lakes where they inhabit till next fall when the stream temperatures reach 45 degrees F.

It was a sneaky move, but I swear this dude was catching big hens in may off the bank. 

2 hours ago, tuffishooker said:

Thanks for the post ! Where there others ? We got as far as the Queenston / Lewiston bridge when a swirl tilted the port stern to about 1 cm. of free board and that was enough for us to back off ! IMO once it starts getting scared it stops being fun ! been there too many times and do not want any others ! Again no fish is worth risking your safety for !

Another post that triggered a bad memory! This happened to us too!!!!

On 1/6/2022 at 5:26 PM, whaler1 said:

I personally would only make the run to the hole with an experienced guide, even then it’s pretty spooky. I’ve been there dozens of times but there are plenty of great drifts that are below. 
Some days, when below the power plants the water is stained, the hole is a nice option. 
One weird thing yesterday was that we didn’t catch a single lake trout. 

Well said! I haven't been over in a week, and now I'm coyote hunting for a bit, but when I was last there, the bite was tough due to Erie has not frozen and the water clarity isn't where it needs to be so the steel are negative and very finicky. It's getting colder now and conditions will likely improve. If/when this occurs the steel and bonus fish will be more active and targeting them where there is less pressure is going to pay dividends. This should enable guys and gals to work slower drifts where they can get a handle on boat control and tapping bottom carefully without risking life, limb, vessel and the safety of others. So, before you go: make yourself familiar with tying sacks with different colors and floats, rig a rod with a bead, and have some other bead colors, get your minnow hooking technique down, and get and learn rigging maglips and other plugs. It's an adventure, but it's not a joke!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...