Remove Carb to Drop Lower Unit?

Pete Collin

Hello All,

I am using this warm day to take apart my boat motor.  I need to drop the lower unit.  The shifter rod is buried in there pretty good.  It looks like the carburetor is in the way.  Removing it looks like a fair bit of business.  Is this a normal thing, to remove the carb to get at the shifter rod release?  The how-to videos I watched weren't my exact motor.  (Johnson 70 horse)

1 hour ago, Frogger said:

Pete, what year motor? Did you figure it out?

I believe it is a '91. I monkeyed around all afternoon, removing the cowling and spent an hour turning one stubborn nut that I thought would release everything. When I went to drop the lower unit, it wouldn't go, so there must be a pin I can't see or get to. Fun fun fun. 

35 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Hello Pete.

image.thumb.png.c3cebdd2f9e62688e9f2b5d8a647d6f0.png

The top of 47 is where the pin is. It is very close to the carburetor, but removing the carb is not very complicated. it is only 2 nuts. The VRO unit might make it a bit more complicated.

I remember being able to pull the pin with a needle nose plier.

On the port side, look in behind where the shift cable anchor is & pull the small hitch pin clip out. Push the shift anchor/cable end in under the carb to the port side of the engine & your shift rod will be released 

6 minutes ago, L&M said:

On the port side, look in behind where the shift cable anchor is & pull the small hitch pin clip out. Push the shift anchor/cable end in under the carb to the port side of the engine & your shift rod will be released 

That sounds almost too easy!  I'll let you know how it goes.