Now What? (Lower Unit Removal)

Pete Collin

Hello All,

I got some excellent advice from this group about how to decouple the shifter rod from my lower unit, so that I can remove it to replace the seals.  Now that everything is undone, I can't get the lower unit to budge!  I undid the 6 bolts from underneath (including the one hidden by the trim tab).  But giving it some good taps with a wooden mallet won't get it to budge.  Not even a little crack is opening between the lower unit and the shaft.  I want to ask if there is somethign I may be overlooking before I really whale on it.  What could be keeping it on there now?

If you are sure that you have removed everything holding it, you should squirt some penetrating oil around the seam ,let it sit a bit and then heat it up a bit, just enough for the aluminum to expand a bit and spray some more penetrating oil. then take a wooden mallet and jut tap on the lower unit  sideways so it vibrates enough to allow the penetrating oil to do its thing. After you have done that a bit you can also start hitting it with downward force. That usually does the trick. It is amazing what a bit of heat does to aluminum. It can also be the shift rod that is still stuck in its housing.

Edited by rolmops